Scheme

Abigail ascended the steps leading up to the Bridgerton household, Olivia at her side. She was beginning to get quite used to the walk, in fact. Although, today she wished she could walk in with a brighter atmosphere around her. She knew Violet had her tea with The Queen that day, and she simply had to check on Daphne after the horrid end to the previous day. 

The doors opened for her and she parted ways with Olivia. Walking towards the grand staircase she passed a particularly angry Bridgerton, wearing his top hat and coat, ready to go out. Although, in fairness, he always seemed to be irritated about something. 

"I hope you aren't leaving to do anything idiotic." She said casually as they had just barely passed each other. 

She heard him turn, so she did as well, just before she could reach the first step. 

"Excuse me?" He questioned. 

"For example, dueling would be categorized as idiotic." She continued on as if she didn't hear his question. 

"I haven't said a word about dueling to you." He challenged. 

"It's not hard to guess what you'd want to do in this situation." She sated, simply.

"Don't speak to me as if I am stupid." 

"Stop acting like it, and I won't." 

"You--"He must have had another insult in mind but he clearly stopped himself. "Why should you even care if I dueled Berbrooke?" He asked, more calmly this time. And quieter too, as he stepped closer. 

After a moment's pause she repeated his own words back to him, "I care what happens to you." 

He was taken aback by this, whether he should be or not was out of the question. He simply stood there, staring at her, recalling the time he said those exact words. They were in a very similar position then too. How did they always end up this close?

"Abigail?" They both heard the voice of Eloise question from upstairs. 

Looking up, the both of them saw Eloise and Benedict at the top step of the stairs. 

Taking a step back and a deep breath Abigail said, "Yes, hello Eloise!" 

She made her way up the staircase herself, and passed Benedict on the way to meet his brother at the bottom. They nodded to acknowledge each other, and then Benedict focused his eyes solely on Anthony. 

The two brothers made their way out of the house, before the younger of the two promptly smacked the elder on the back of his head. 

"Ah! And what was that for?" Anthony questioned in a whine. 

"What the hell are you doing, Brother?" 

"What on God's green earth are you talking about?" He asked as he passed Benedict, and proceeded to walk down the street to their destination. 

"Don't play dumb, Brother, it's beneath you." He moved to keep pace with Anthony. "Abigail." 

Anthony kept his gaze forward, refusing to look his brother in the eye. 

"I don't doubt you have some feelings for her." Benedict carried on. "But I know you are still running from the yoke because of that opera singer of yours. Abby doesn't have the time to wait for you. Why encourage her?" 

"Sienna and I are done. I broke it off days ago." He stopped and spit the words of defense at his brother's accusation "And I would have you know I would never make a fool of the lady. I just-- I cannot always control what happens near her." He finally stuttered out. 

Benedict paused for a moment before clapping his brother's shoulder. 

"Well, you had better figure your life out soon. Because Abigail knows what she needs, and what she wants. Something tells me she won't put up with you if that means she cannot get it." And with that he placed his hat on his head and proceeded back on course, leaving Anthony staring at the concrete, unsure of his next move. 

——

"Thank goodness you're here." Eloise said as she led Abigail down the hallway. "Daphne won't come out of her room. And I don't blame her, I just-- I could never make her feel better. We don't communicate well, and I'll say the wrong thing." 

Abigail placed a hand on Eloise's shoulder as they approached Daphne's bedroom door. 

"I've got this." She said, then glanced down at the book Eloise was carrying. She tapped it and said "That's quite good. I have the next in the series if you'd ever like to borrow it." Then she placed her hand on Daphne's doorknob and twisted. 

Knocking on the door as she entered, she said softly, "It's just me." 

"Oh Abby." Daphne said and got up from her chaise lounge. "I'm so grateful to see you." She hugged the Bentley woman tight. 

"And I you." Abby replied and pulled back. "Daphne you really ought to get dressed." Noticing her nightdress and robe still on her body. 

"What's the point?" She muttered. 

"Perhaps a walk would make you feel better." Abigail said as cheerful as she could. "It really is quite lovely today." She moved over to Daphne's wardrobe and pulled out a drawer with her corsets and bloomers. 

"I suppose it's worth a try." Daphne said and pulled on the cord next to her bed, calling for Rose to come and help her get dressed. 

"Tell me something happy." Daphne requested and plopped on the bed. 

Abigail arched her brow as she laid the undergarments on the bench. 

"Well, I need something to take my mind off of... things." 

"Alright then," Abby sat down on the bed next to Daphne. "Benjamin is supposed to be off to boarding school tomorrow. I've arranged for Calvin to go with him. Even though we typically would wait a year with him, I can't separate them. Not now." 

"Rather smart." Daphne commented. "Do they offer Calvin's grade level?" 

Abigail was about to reply when a knock came at the door. 

"Come in Rose!" Daphne called. 

Although, in fact, it was Violet who entered the room. 

"Oh mama. How was your tea with The Queen?" Daphne asked. 

"It was... educational." Violet said in reply. "I'm terribly sorry dear, but could I pull Abigail away for a moment." 

"Oh. Of course." 

Abby stood from the bed and exited the room right as Rose entered. Violet pulled her further down the hallway and then stopped in front of the study. 

"Abigail, darling. Do you think you could join us for tea tomorrow afternoon?" She asked in a tone that said there was more to what she was actually asking. 

"Um, of course." Abby replied, not knowing why she couldn't have asked this in front of Daphne. 

"I think I've figured out a way to get the Baron off our hands." She said in explanation.

"Hopefully, the servants can get her lady's maid to talk about the Berbrooke family, so if your maid could help that'd be wonderful. Everyone knows the help hears everything, so why not use it to our advantage?"

Abigail smiled as she caught on, "And you're worried a tea with just you and Daphne might look abrupt?" 

"Precisely. And by now, you're a part of this family yourself, so you should attend the tea." 

Abigail's heart warmed. "I will be there." 

"Excellent." Violet said and then walked off. 

Abby's smile grew brighter as now they finally had a plan, and she turned around to make her way back towards Daphne's bedroom.

(Sort of a transitional chapter. I'll update the next one soon, I've already got a plan.)