Wrenched

Dearest gentile reader, I must send felicitations to the new Duke and Duchess of Hastings. Congratulations and stamina as they embark on the most exhilarating time in a young couple's life. I am, of course, talking of the honeymoon. Is there a more romantic notion? To retreat from society together finally leaving watchful eyes behind.

Eloise was reading the Whistledown sheet aloud as they all sat in the guest room, which as Hyacinth had pointed out, was basically Abby's now. 

Abigail was finishing getting ready and Violet was with her. Abby was sure she was missing Daphne and was wanting to pour her energy into something else, so she was happy to be that distraction for her. 

"What did she mean by stamina when she was congratulating Daphne?" Eloise wondered aloud. 

Abby looked up and caught Violet's eye in the mirror as she put her earring in. They both widened their eyes slightly and Abigail quickly made an excuse. 

"I'm sure it was just yet another adjective the woman decided to throw in." 

"You know, I was thinking." Hyacinth started. 

"Well that's a shock." Eloise said with a drawl to her tone. 

"Eloise!" Violet scolded. "Thinking about what, dear?" 

"I was only going to say," She threw a pointed look at her sister. "That Abigail's practically our sister now." 

Abby immediately froze. Not because she was offended, but because she knew how much she wanted to be, and how close she almost was to actually being their sister.  

"Well that's very sweet of you to say dear." Violet said and moved forward to place a hand on Abigail's shoulder. "Now I don't want you putting any kind of pressure on yourself today, alright?" Her thumb rubbed comforting circles. "Just because Daphne is gone does not mean I have stopped thinking of your match. We will simply give this the proper time it needs." 

Abby smiled in the mirror and simply nodded, not knowing what she could say in response that would communicate how very loved she felt at that moment. 

"Alright now, everybody out! We need to get going." She announced to her two daughters, and Eloise groaned to leave the room while Hyacinth practically skipped off. "Meet us downstairs, dear." She said before exiting the room. 

Abby nodded and turned to grab her shawl, but before she could, she noticed movement outside her door. And in almost seconds, Anthony was in her room and had lightly shut the door behind him. 

"Anthony what are you—" but she didn't get to finish. 

"Shh! I just— I had to talk to you before we left." He said. 

So she stood there and waited for him to say something. He took a deep breath before finally voicing his thoughts.

"I just want you to know that when I was out in that field with Hastings, all I could think about was you."

Abigail sucked in a breath. She wasn't expecting that. 

"I make impulsive decisions. I do before I think. And I know it's wrong, but I honestly don't see that changing." He took another breath as if what he was going to say next was hard. "If that is something you can't live with... I understand. But I just— I needed you to know." 

He moved to leave but her arm reached out and caught him before he could. He turned to look at her and he saw the troubled look on her face. There were tears welling in her eyes but he couldn't tell why. 

"...There are worse things to live with." She said, finally. 

He paused. He wasn't hearing this right. 

"I won't believe it until you say the words." He said. 

With a small chuckle she moved her eyes from the carpet and looked into his brown ones. 

"Anthony Bridgeton, if you would still have me, I would love to marry you." 

She had barely finished the sentence before his lips were on hers. She could feel his smile and immediately mimicked it. He picked her up and spun her as if he was the happiest man on earth. He certainly felt like it at the moment. 

"Please tell me we can announce this." He pulled away and asked with a sense of childlike excitement in his voice. 

She laughed, and nodded vigorously. He kissed her again. 

"Thank God. We'll do it at the garden party today, I'm not waiting another second." He announced. 

With another quick kiss, and much more joyful laughing on her part, he hurried out of the room.

While this author, along with the rest of the ton, will certainly miss its most-remarked-upon couple back in London, perhaps we might find solace in the promise of the duke and duchess returning to us bearing a surprise.

The crowd chattered and Abigail stood with Violet and Eloise, sipping her champagne. As she observed the lovely scenery, she couldn't remember ever feeling this happy. 

"I wonder what Daphne's doing at this very moment." Hyacinth wondered from Violet's side. 

Abigail held back a snort as she was sure she knew exactly what she and Simon were doing. 

"I am sure she has many new duties to attend to as Duchess. There are things you should be learning yourself to prepare for your debut." She nudged Eloise, who scoffed. 

"Making simpering conversation, pretending not to wince every time a man treads on my toes during a waltz?" Eloise responded sarcastically. 

"Eloise!" Violet tried to scold but was distracted as Gregory pulled Hyacinth away and they ran off. 

"I'm no good at those things mama. I shall only make a fool of myself." Eloise carried on. 

"Well perhaps if you devoted as much time to your deportment lessons as you did to writing in your journal, you might feel rather better." 

Abigail sipped her champagne and noted how they really could go round and round with each other. She moved away from them and casually joined the conversation with Anthony and Benedict. 

Anthony's smile widened and she practically lit up being nearer to him. 

"You ready?" He asked. 

She was about to respond with a very happy 'yes', but before she could do so she heard a glass clinking not four feet from them. Turning, she saw Colin who was gaining everyone's attention. 

"Pray, may I have everyone's attention?" He began. "I would like to make a small but rather important announcement. I have happy news to impart. I have asked Miss Marina Thompson to be my wife, and she has accepted." 

While everyone around her began smiling and cheering, even some applauding, Abigail felt as if the world had gone quiet. With the pit in her stomach she looked to her left to see Anthony, with a very similar expression on his face. 

She reached over in a small movement and grasped his hand tightly. They would be able to be together someday. At least she hoped.

(Wow I really just gave Anthony and Abby what they wanted then immediately took it away. I'm evil, sorry!)