Ambushed

This author has often thought the heart a most curious of instruments, heading neither reason nor rank. For what possible explanation might Miss Bridgerton have for entertaining the suit of a mere Baron when she seems to have secured a Duke? Could the debutante's mind not be the only thing amiss?

As for the beautiful Miss Abigail Bentley, she certainly seems to have secured the attention of many new suitors indeed. If sources are to be believed, a string of eligible gentlemen were seen approaching the Bentley household this past two days. All of this, of course, thanks to the Bridgerton family taking the Bentley under their wing. Let us hope however, one diamond does not rub off on another, as we all know the Bentley name cannot afford to have this go wrong.

Abigail finished reading the gossip sheet out loud to Olivia as she applied rouge to her cheeks. 

"Wonderful," she said sarcastically. "So everyone knows. They all know my family is inches from ruin." 

"The Bentley name is a respectable one within the community," Olivia assured her as she met her eye in the mirror and began applying the pink powder to her other cheek. "Your reputation is not tarnished, and you need to stop worrying. That gossiping writer only said that last bit to cause intrigue." 

"But she is right," Abby conversed, standing to take her robe off to get her corset on. "I cannot have this go wrong."

Olivia began tightening the strings. "Then we shan't let it." 

Once the corset was on, Abigail sent Olivia to check on her brothers as they were getting ready themselves with their nanny. They were to attend the grand picnic with the Bridgertons that day. Which, of course, made both of her brothers happy as they would be able to play with Gregory and Hyacinth. 

She was glad to see they were pleased, she knew they loved the park and they really did need some friends to play with, now more than ever. Neither of them were in boarding school yet, and they were consistently surrounded by the cloud that was their mother's absence in the home. 

Abigail looked up into her full length mirror. She was just in her corset and her bloomers, and there was oddly something freeing about it. Something strengthening. She stood there, in a very raw and empowering form, and looked herself in the eye. 

"You can do this. You are going to do this." Her mind began to drift back to the other night in the library with Anthony. 

It was exhilarating and intense, and on some level, she was sad she had stopped it when she did. But she quickly cut off her train of thought, she didn't have time for this.

Let it be known, dear reader, that if this bizarre behavior portends yet another scandal, then be sure I shall uncover it, for there is nothing like an excursion into nature to lift the spirits and loosen the tongue.

Abigail walked through the park and headed to the lakeside with her brothers bounding ahead of her. She smiled as she watched them attempt to race the birds in the sky and only pulled them back when they began to approach the many camps set up by the members of the ton. 

"Ben! Cal!" She called and they turned around. She gestured her arms to reel them back and took their hands. 

They were almost there when Ben asked, "May we be able to play today Abby?"