Certain Someone

My name is Sasuke Uchiha. I hate a lot of things, and I don’t particularly like anything. What I have is not a dream, because I will make it a reality. I’m going to restore my clan, and kill a certain someone.

Itachi.

Ever since the beginning I knew Sasuke would turn out as the bad seed, I didn’t need my Sharingan or even knowledge of Sasuke’s lineage to realise how far gone he truly was―and even as a young adolescent growing up in Konohagakure, he pursued hate. I wasn’t going to allow Sasuke to kill Itachi, I would die first.

“It’s about to rain,” Kisame raised Samehada to shield Itachi from the downpour that had come two weeks two late. The farmer’s crops were withered and yellowing, not even the onslaught of water could resurrect them.

I know the four of us have worked together. And for a while, I thought I could choose that path instead…but in the end, I’ve decided on revenge. That’s always been the purpose of living.

Sasuke disturbed me, and finding out how twisted he’s truly become, made me on edge. Itachi had no idea what his brother truly is, what he’s capable of. During my fake-your-death period of life, I’d taken my time to keep tabs on the famed Sasuke Uchiha―to this day I still don’t know what made him different from Itachi, what made him more desirable. If only the village knew who the true Itachi was.

I don’t look to the future any more, only the past.

I clenched my bandaged fists, the more I thought of Sasuke’s words made me sick to the stomach. Water trickled from the brim of my bamboo hat as I stood on the edge of the steep incline towards a small stream on the outskirts of Konohagakure. Itachi and Kisame gave me space and didn’t question as to why I kept summoning Kuragari to follow Sasuke’s scent. He was dangerous and I would do everything and anything in my power to keep Itachi with me.

Beneath my sleeve, the Gin–Sho piece trembled between my fingers. The wood seemed tainted since ‘Madara’ had gotten his claws into it. I averted my crimson gaze towards the blood splattered game piece and ground my teeth together; Sasuke’s name still echoed in the back of my mind, I had to put a stop to him.

“What are you doing, Etsuko?” Kisame asked, angling Samehada to stop the rain from battering Itachi who was meditating.

I gave a grunt in response, “Kuchiyose no Jutsu!”

Kuragari flew up from the cloud of smoking, drooping a bit before adjusting to the heavy beating of the rain. My summoning crow squawked and took the Gin–Sho piece in his beak; he knew exactly what to do―give it to Sasuke in warning that he has entered a game in which I will surely win.

“Tell Sasuke,” I murmured to Kuragari as if in a trance, “that this time around…I will not give up my Sharingan, not just for Itachi’s life, but for his own…”

“Hai, Mistress,” Kuragari and I simultaneously disappeared in a cloud of smoke.

***

A man screamed while encased in chains. Sasuke stood with two other disciples, awaiting the third recruit to his kill-squad to ensnare Itachi. The woman was an Uzumaki from her trademark red-hair and was also a sensory-type Nin―she caught my presence straight away, even though I was nowhere inside the vicinity, Kuragari was on my behalf.

“What the hell do you want from me?” the bound man hollered. “Leave me alone!”

Sasuke and his companions remained impassive. Kuragari gave a low kaw and pecked at the bars on the grate, none of the rogues payed attention to my crow, which I supposed was a good thing.