D A T T E B A Y O !

      We were assigned a simple observation mission by Hiruzen. Our objective was to watch over him and the Uzumaki orphan, Naruto, for the day. I found it odd, he didn't appear threatening. Though, Tenzo remarked that he knew the necessary seals to reinforce Naruto's if the Kyuubi decided to manifest. 

     I could remember the event clearly. I was six when the Nine Tails struck, it had been a night before my parents had kicked me out. The fearsome roars of the Kyuubi shattered the windows in the apartment and we were forced to evacuate to the surrounding hill. 

      Instead of staying with the second branch for roll call, I climbed one of the trees to survey the village. Two men stood on the head of the Kyuubi as it thrashed about wildly. I'd never seen one before, but I knew that there was something wrong. Instead of holding a normal pupil, the Kyuubi held the Sharingan. 

         "Etsuko?" Tenzo waved his gloved hand in front of my face.

        "Hn?" I blinked. 

        Kakashi landed next to me, followed by Naruto and Hiruzen.

       "We need our guard up today," Tenzo murmured to me as he nodded at the Hokage. "The Kyuubi is unpredictable, and you mustn't tell Naruto of what he contains."

     It was cruel, really. Naruto was a smiling blonde boy with such oblivious intent to become Hokage like his guardian Hiruzen. Nothing seemed to faze him, not even three lethal ANBU staring him in the face―keeping the secret from him that he held the Demon Fox, would only hurt him more in the long run. 

       "Ah, Tenzo, Etsuko, Kakashi," Hiruzen smoked on his pipe. "There's no need for your masks today, you don't need to hide anything from Naruto," he looked down at the pouting ten year old at his feet. "Etsuko, Shisui informed me earlier to tell you to meet outside the village boarder. I assume it is to train. I believe it would be appropriate to accept. Tenzo and Kakashi can accompany me today to watch over Naruto."

     I tried to conceal the blush, "Yes, Lord Third." 

[Time Skip]

       I opened one eye to see Shisui pouting at me. We'd been trying the summoning jutsu for over an hour with no result. We'd gone through the list of summons: toads, slugs, snakes, dragons, dogs, turtles, everything

    Shisui scrubbed at his brow and narrowed his eyes at the large scroll, "I don't get it. . .you were able to summon a cat during the Uchiha Trials with no contract and now they won't speak to you." 

     "I tried using a forbidden summon, a dragon," my fingers twitched, they'd been in the tiger seal for too long. "It said I wasn't worthy and disappeared. But nothing is showing up. . .did I break the summoning jutsu by using it in the arena?" 

      I knew that before an animal summoning could be performed, the summoner had to sign a contract in blood with a given species of animal. I had to sign my name and place bloodied fingerprints on the scroll to sign that it was valid―I then had to mould my chakra with the hand seals and then summon the creature from their respective dimension. I didn't understand why no animals wanted to bridge with me. 

     "You can't break an S-Class jutsu like this, Etsu-Chan," Shisui chuckled. 

      "Hn, well I have no idea what's going on," I huffed and poked my bottom lip out in frustration. "I've given blood and everything."

      Shisui thought in silence for a moment, a slight breeze ruffled his curls as small leaves drifted through the space between us. I was about to stand up and walk off but Shisui bit his thumb and began forming hand signs.