U C H I H A    B A N Q U E T

     Sabako and Kirudoshi made another attempt to weasel their way into my life. In preparation for the Uchiha Banquet, my parents appeared in my kitchen in a cloud of smoke while I was preparing lunch. Needless to say I was scared shitless, and this time, my mother made sure I couldn't banish them away. 

     She hissed in my ear for me to sit still while she made me 'presentable'. I sighed and tucked my hands into the elongated sleeves of the cropped Yukata. There was no point fighting with her, so I allowed her to adjust my long hair into an intricate bun, pinning it in place with a blossom clip. 

      "Don't you think that's a bit much dear?" my father rubbed his stubble with a scowl. 

      "There can never be too much when it comes to Uchiha functions," my mother said.

       "I mean. . .the garments, the makeup, the hair pieces. . .it's just a banquet and dance, not a public function," Kirudoshi pressed his forehead against the door frame. "I never will understand you, woman." 

      "I want my little Etsuko to make an impression tonight, the whole first branch will be there," Sabako adjusted one of the pins and then dabbed red lacquer onto my lips. "Besides, if we're lucky, she could pick up her future husband tonight. You can't be a Kunoichi forever dear―would you hold still?"

    I pouted, ". . .None of them interest me." 

     "Oh? What about that boy earlier that was here?" Kirudoshi chuckled. "What was his name. . .Shisui?" 

      I'm quite sure steam blew out of my ears at his comment. 

      Staring at my reflection, I knew how desirable I looked with all of the feminine additions and makeup. I enjoyed looking this way, but the attention it would bring irked me. All the Uchiha knew me as 'rough' at the best of times.  My mother tried desperately to remake me into someone I wasn't, who I'd never be.

      Their daughter.

      As a compromise I wore a pair of black leggings beneath the thigh-length Yukata and block sandals. I knotted my fingers together beneath the sleeves to hide my nerves. The Yukata was a deep moroon colour, almost as deep as my repressed Sharingan. 

       I strapped a kunai pouch to my thigh, hidden beneath the hem of the garment and gestured for my parents to leave to the main mansion. 

[Time Skip]

       I clenched my fists as we stood on the veranda of Itachi's home. My parents stood on either side of me, marvelling at the quality of wood and size of the mansion. Lanterns lit the entire area and were painted with the Uchiha symbol.

        "It's time to make your appearance, Etsuko," Sabako clapped her hands enthusiastically.

          I wish I had her optimism.  

      "I think I want to go home," I mumbled as my parents pushed me inside the house.

       Inside was a bustle of life as twelve families talked drank and danced. I didn't know any of the children there, or their parents, so I felt extremely small in an extremely big house. Itachi's family had spruced up the interior of their house by more red paper lanterns and pots of sweet scented flowers.

      My eyes scanned around the space as some of the families turned and greeted my parents. I broke away from their hold and walked through the living room. A few of the boys ogled at my appearance and attempted to talk to me, but I continued towards the back deck where Fugaku stood.