十二

U N K E P T    P R O M I S E

[Time Skip]

      I lay over the river, crying. My cheek pressed against the earth as I stared into the abyss. The water below had a steady current and I watched a few stray leaves get swept around the fork in the stream. In the back of my mind, something nagged at me, but I couldn't figure out what it was. 

     I dismissed the thought and watched each tear dampen the rock. The truth crippled me, I barely had the strength to stand. 

     The rustling of trees disturbed my tranquil state. Without looking, I reached into my thigh pouch and threw a rogue kunai. My shoulders tensed when I heard the clink of metal―it was deflected. 

     "It wasn't your fault," Shisui said from behind me. "Losing your ability to wield your Sharingan, I mean. What you did for Itachi, was something I would struggle with if the roles had been reversed―I couldn't imagine my world without the Sharingan. . .I honestly couldn't. But what Danzo's done to you, what he's tried to turn you into, is someone you'll never be―I'll do my best to help you break the seal, but I can't make any promises that it'll work."

     I slowly rose onto my forearms, still crying. 

     Shi. . .sui. . .

     "Unlike others, you are more than your Sharingan. . .you're almost stronger without it," he extended his hand to me. "Don't think this seal makes you weak. . .you're more than hand signs and chakra."   

       As he looked out at the sunset, I felt warmth enter my cheeks as I watched him. Just like we were kids, I felt jittery all over like when I first awoke my Sharingan against Dokushin Yaguishi. His unkempt curls stuck up in odd directions as he pulled off the Konohagakure headband and tucked it into his pocket. Shisui's eyes were almost lost under his long eyelashes and from the way he stared at his surroundings; it was like he was lost in a dream.

     I slowly grabbed his hand and he pulled me up. 

      "I won't ask what you saw, don't think that you owe me that," he said. 

      I averted my eyes, "Shisui. . .I'm so sorry. . ."

      He ignored the apology. 

      "I promised you a while ago that I would tell you about my Mangekyou when you're ready," Shisui murmured. "Personally, I think there's still a bit more of training you need to do to perfect your techniques and surpass myself along with Itachi, but I fear that my time is running out. . .and I think you know it is too."

      From Hikari's scrolls, I knew that every Mangekyou was different, not just in appearance but also in abilities. Depending on how one awakens their Mangekyou, adds limit on the amount of power and which technique the eyes contain. Some Mangekyou holders could only handle one technique, or in Hikari's case, up to six in both eyes.   

      All six techniques were above and beyond that of a normal Uchiha's Mangekyou. Hikari possessed the Tsukuyomi where she was able to create illusions with her eyes, Izanami which could be used to alter reality, Izanagi which could also trap an opponent in a loop of truth until they succumbed to the light, Susanoo which was an armoured warrior that was built from one's life force and Kotoamatsukami, which allowed her to enter opponents minds. She also included her own personal Mangekyou manifestation―the ability to transfer memories, like an altered Kotoamatsumaki. 

     The Izanami and Izanagi were inherited once the Mangekyou were awoken, but Madara transferred the power of Kotoamatsukami and Tsukuyomi to Hikari through visual contact―the concept intrigued as well as frightened me.