Part 40

A single night of wedded bliss was all Jon and (YN) could enjoy before returning to Winterfell, where several disconcerting surprises await them.

A/N: FINALLY. Yes, your eyes don't deceive you. I have finally posted another chapter, it feels like forever. Between Christmas and Summer holiday's life has been pretty chaotic. I'm hoping now that the kids have settled back into school (besides the 5 day snap covid lockdown here in Victoria, Australia) that I'll be able to get back to my regular posting schedule, every 3 to 4 weeks. Thanks for being patient guys <3

Word count: 4665

Warnings: A bit of fluff, a bit of angst. That's about it. Let me know if you think I forgot anything.

Please feel free to drop me a message or comment, your feedback would be very much appreciated.

(YN)'s eyes opened to the touch of Jon's scars under her fingertips. Bumpy rough blemishes, long healed, yet forever lingering. A constant reminder to him... and now to her, of the moment his own sworn brothers sought to draw his last breath, a sobering reminder that honour and loyalty mean very little in the minds and hearts of some men. Pressing her lips to his chest, she kissed him gently and lifted her gaze, her eyes catching the dull morning light as it filtered in through the small windows, its rays struggling to reach all four walls of the sweet little cottage. And yet, a lovely warm light radiated from the smouldering flames of the fire, sending soft shadows dancing across the stone floors, and any thoughts to get up and start the day to the back of her mind.

Nestling her head back against his chest, she heard and felt the rhythmic beat of his heart beneath her ear, such a calming and constant sound. Nothing like the chaotic rapid thumps she felt against her bare flesh just hours ago. Night after night during their travels to Winterfell, she laid by his side in a near-constant state of blissful torture. The warmth of his body, his eager lips, and gentle hands, offered little glimpses of what their wedding night would offer and she was not left disappointed. Just the thought of what happened the moment they stepped foot inside the tiny little cottage, left her lip caught between her teeth and her face buried against the warmth of his chest. Not even realising when her grip tightened around his side, her whole body expelling a heavy breath, stirring him from his peaceful slumber.

Sleepy fingers wrestled gently with her morning hair, his chin finding a home perched comfortably on top, his free hand reaching over to entice ripples of tiny bumps to life across her back. Breathing deeply, Jon hummed, the sound was one of utter contentment, and she couldn't help but look up to see his beautiful face. Returning her gaze were two warm sleepy eyes, drowsy, and yet somehow completely awake, brimming with devotion and full of love.

Rolling onto his side, he pulled her flush against him and breathed in, as if he was filling his lungs with the scent of the sweetest perfumed rose, his warm breath tickling her nose as he spoke, "Good morning, you."