Part 23

Summary: A multi-chapter GoT x Reader series. Negotiations at Hardhome go better than Jon expected. Yet when more uninvited visitors arrive things take a turn for the worse, bringing to light the terrifying and growing strength of the army of the dead.

Series Warning: The series will roughly follow the TV storyline, so it's not always going to be smooth sailing for the reader.

Pairings: Robb Stark x Reader, Jon Snow x Reader

Chapter Warnings: Violent scene descriptions, angst.

Word Count:4623

Please feel free to drop me a message or comment, your feedback would be very much appreciated.

Walking up onto the deck of the ship had been both a breathtaking and intimidating sight. Hardhome itself was a relatively small stretch of land along the coast, with huge rugged stone cliffs that abruptly rose from the ground, so bleak and harsh and yet so beautiful and peaceful. However, as (YN)'s eyes scanned along the shore her thoughts were immediately weighed down with unrest. Not for her companions or herself and what they were walking into, but for the freefolk. Of course, she was sure they were well adapted to survive beyond the wall, they had been doing it for thousands of years, but after hearing all the stories about the growing army of the dead, she couldn't imagine how they would escape should they come under attack. The only passage to safety lied to the sea and until they arrived today with Stannis' ships, the freefolk would have had no way of escaping.

Still, it would have been a lie if she didn't admit that some of the nerves twisting around in her chest didn't stem from the growing crowd along the shoreline. And as she sat on the little boat, with Jon and Tormund standing by her side, her palm absentmindedly wrapped around the hilt of her nameless sword as her heart started working just that little bit harder. If the freefolk decided to turn on Tormund for breaking bread with a crow, she doubted whether there was anything that could save them. And after reaching shore, that's exactly how (YN) thought it was going to play out. Their welcome from the Lord of Bones was colder than the thin icy air and when he asked why Tormund was no longer in chains, Jon decided to blurt out that he was no longer their prisoner, but instead, an ally. (YN) wondered what on earth possessed him to come straight out with it like that, it made Tormund sound like a traitor, resulting in the freefolk getting rather vocal and angry and she thought then and there they were going to have to turn around and run for the boats. But luckily, Tormund held a lot more respect amongst the freefolk than she realised and when the Lord of Bones almost had her mouth dropping open with his vulgar insults, Tormund was quick to act. Grabbing the Lord of Bones skull staff, Tormund knocked him clear across the head and she watched as he fell to the ground, Tormund repeatedly connecting blow after blow until the Lord of Bones lay motionless, silent and breathless. It was a brutal sight, but it had the freefolk falling silent too and (YN) feeling grateful that Tormund considered her a friend rather than an enemy.