Part 47

Summary: The battle plan to take the Iron Throne is set, but Daenery's has one last thing to ask Grey Worm the night before the battle. And (YN) makes a change to the battle plan just seconds before it begins.

Warnings: It's the battle for the Iron Throne. Things are bound to get messy. Some swearing.

Word Count: 4591

Please feel free to drop me a message or comment your feedback would be very much appreciated..

There was now one less enemy in a country that was full of them. Varys' remains were little more than a sprinkling of ash across the sandy shore, the outline of his silhouette forever burned upon the cliffs of Daenerys' ancestral home, but the unknown damage he created lingered heavily over her head. Looking down to her hand, Daenerys stared at the small scroll, before enclosing it within her palm, wondering just how many Varys had sent across Westeros before her men retrieved this one when they shot his raven from the skies above Dragonstone. A tiny piece of parchment, filled with betrayal. A man she was supposed to trust, plotting against her to champion her biggest rivals. Far bigger rivals than Cersei, and yet, rivals she would need as allies until the conclusion of tomorrow's battle. Once the Red Keep was hers, there was no more need for the Northern King and Queen and as much as she couldn't dislike the loving couple, she had to destroy them. Everything about them threatened her right to the throne. They were good and just and loved by all who were touched by their presence.

Maybe Varys had done her a favour. For weeks, she had known what she needed to do, and yet, her affection for Jon and her inability to despise his beautiful wife kept her from making her final decision. But the little note she wrapped within her palm, made it easy. It was a necessary evil. When a knock sounded upon her door, she stood up and cleared her throat, calling for Grey Worm to come in. After requesting his audience just a few minutes earlier, she was pleased to see him arrive so quickly, wanting to get this unpleasant but imperative request over with.

Opening the door, Grey Worm stood to attention before his queen, waiting for her instruction, curious to know why she had summoned him at such a late hour when all their plans had been finalised at the war council earlier that evening. Without greeting, Daenerys turned and walked to the middle of the room, asking him to come in and close the door behind him, and he knew then, that this meeting was important to tomorrows plans. But something about the way she behaved, had him feeling uneasy. When she turned around to face him again, he was confronted by a strange coldness pervading from her washed-out features and dark sunken eyes, her fingers fidgeting with a small piece of rolled up parchment. Holding it up to him, she asked, "Do you know what this is?"

Grey Worm only shook his head in response, hoping it wasn't evidence of yet more betrayal. Surely after Varys' execution, no one was foolish enough to send out further messages. Dropping her hand, Daenerys began fidgeting with the tiny scroll again, unravelling it as she spoke, "It's Varys' note." Taking a heavy breath, she began reading it,