Part 49

Summary: Tyrion and Grey Worm have made plans to smuggle (YN) and Jon from the Red Keep and out of Kings Landing, but will it all come tumbling down now that Jon has made a spontaneous plan of his own.

Warnings: Swearing, angst, anger and violence. Death of a character.

Word Count: 4663

Please feel free to drop me a message or comment, your feedback would be very much appreciated..

Tyrion slipped through the door, leaning against it until it clicked shut behind him and rushed across the floor to (YN)'s side

Tyrion slipped through the door, leaning against it until it clicked shut behind him and rushed across the floor to (YN)'s side. Cradling a heavy linen bundle against his chest, he dropped it to the ground, his hand immediately beginning to search his pocket as he kneeled down beside, "We don't have long, a new set of guards will arrive shortly."

Pulling a large corroded key from his pocket, his hands fumbled trying to unlock the shackles around her wrists, before (YN) took it from him, her hands surprisingly calm as she worked the lock and with touching sincerity, she thanked him.

Helping her pull apart the shackles, Tyrion threw a rusty iron nail amongst the chain that now sat in a pile beside her and almost chuckled, his lips curling into a half-smile. "This is me, thanking you. Without you, we would all be part of the army of the dead... And the streets outside this castle would be lined with far more casualties." Stopping a moment, he stared at her with admiration, "Do you realise how many people you saved with your last-minute changes, sending in your reinforcements for the civilians?"

(YN) rubbed the tender skin around her wrists and cast her eyes to the floor, "Not enough. I knew this was going to end badly, and still, I agreed to-"

Shaking his head, Tyrion interrupted, "You saved thousands (YN), there are thousands sheltering in northern tents outside these city walls, because of you." Tyrion began unwrapping the bundle beside him, "And without your intervention, Daenerys would have executed my brother, but he is alive and safe in Winterfell because you forgave him."

(YN) watched him unwrap the linen, revealing an unsullied suit of amour, helmet and all, thinking it was a rather ingenious plan to get her out of there, and as her fingers began untying her tunic, Tyrion found himself humbled by her words. "He deserves forgiveness... he is not the same man who pushed Bran from a tower all those years ago." Standing up, she gave him an awkward look and immediately his cheeks flushed with colour, realising it was time for him to avert his gaze, so she could strip down and change. Turning his back to her, she continued to speak, "Life has a way of changing people... some for the better... and some for the worse."

Tyrion features softened, she really was wise beyond her years. He could see it the moment she arrived at Winterfell as a young woman, barely out of childhood. And with everything life had dealt her since, she could have changed for the worse, turned her cold and bitter... vengeful and mad, but it had not. She was essentially the same, just wiser, smarter, more confident and accomplished. And somehow, still humble and unassuming. Everything a queen should be, yet, rarely was.