Part 9

Credit to the Gif creatorThe Stark Army have left Winterfell and are preparing for battle against the Lannister's. Will Lord Frey, allow them safe passage across the Twins in time? And if he does, at what cost, to Robb and (YN)?

Series Warning: the series will roughly follow the TV storyline, so it will not all be happy endings for Robb and the reader. The reader may or may not be paired with another character, further down the line.

Word Count: 4195

Chapter Warnings: None really, maybe a touch of angst for Robb.

Hope you enjoy and please, feel free to drop me a message, feedback is always welcomed and encouraged.

The waiting was horrible, it felt as if Catelyn had been gone all day, even though in reality it hadn't been very long at all

The waiting was horrible, it felt as if Catelyn had been gone all day, even though in reality it hadn't been very long at all. Catelyn and Ser Rodrik had met up with Robb and the Bannermen at the Neck, (YN) had been so happy to have to another familiar face around, as well as some female company. Even though the bannermen had been nothing but kind and respectful to her, it was just nice to have another woman to talk to. Right now though, Catelyn had gone to speak with Lord Walder Frey to arrange a crossing at the Twins, Robb's army desperately needed to cross before Tywin Lannister's army came from the other side. Sitting at the table in the main tent Robb spoke with the other Lords, trying to decide the best course of action against the Lannister's, if they did indeed secure the crossing at the Twins. Should they attack Tywin's army? Who was undoubtedly gearing up to attack them, or should they split their forces to attack both Tywin and Jaime, who currently held Riverrun, Catelyn's childhood home? Knowing that splitting their forces would leave them greatly outnumbered on both fronts.

(YN) sat quietly beside Robb taking everything in, trying to get her head around the military terms and tactics. This was all so new to her, sure she had seen a couple of battles between her family's banners and the Ironborn from the relative safety of her chamber window, but this was entirely different. Those battles had been small and a spur of the moment, unorganised when Mountainbreak had been attacked without warning. Whereas this needed to be well thought out, organised and precise, to try and take full advantage of their smaller number of soldiers. Sitting there listening intently, (YN) tapped her fingers on the table while trying to look out the tent for Catelyn, wondering how much longer she would be. Robb had wanted to go himself, however, the Lords and his mother wouldn't allow it. By their accounts, Walder Frey was too untrustworthy and it would not be out of character for him to capture Robb, or worse, kill him and deliver his head to Tywin on a platter. (YN)'s body shuddered at the thought, immediately pushing it from her mind, bringing her thoughts back to Catelyn and her safety.

With her eyes trained on the tent opening and her mind concentrating on battle conversation, (YN) absentmindedly began tapping her fingers on the table again. Only realising what she was doing when she felt Robb's warm hand gently squeeze hers in a silent gesture for her to stop, giving her a hint of a smile to show he was not upset. Taking her hands and placing them in her lap, she sent a small smile to him in apology, not wanting to distract him further.