Chapter 2

Weeks passed and I still hadn't heard anything on Colby. A lot of girls were talking to him and stuff but none of them seemed like they got some. Until one Friday, about a month after Colby came.

A girl in my grade, Sarah.

I was at my locker about ready to leave when I heard her talking with her friends. "Yeah, Colby invited me over tonight..." I heard her say as her friends squealed next to her.

I felt my heart start beating then. "Oh my god, Sarah you're gonna get some tonight." I heard her friend say. Sarah laughed. "Like Grace did last Friday?" "And Hailey 2 weeks ago?" They all laughed then left their lockers. I stood there speechless.

So it is true, and he's been doing it since he's gotten here.

Everyone seems so normal though. Does he tell them to not say anything? I thought back to the last time I saw Grace which was in study hall today. She seemed normal to me. This is just all so confusing. I slammed my locker shut and met Erica downstairs.

I went on Facebook later that night, it was about midnight. I refreshed my feed and there on the very top was Sarah's status:

"Had the best night ever oh my god. 😍" it already had 14 likes. I rolled my eyes and set my phone down. I sighed.

Why. Is. This. Bothering. Me. So. Much.

Is it because I want Colby to pick me one Friday night? I laughed. No. He would never pick me.

It was about 2 weeks after the Sarah incident. It was a Monday, and I heard that the last 2 people Colby has fucked were 2 more popular girls in my grade: Amanda and Claudia. Sigh.

Well anyway, it's a Monday, and it's science class.

"We'll be starting a new project today." The teacher said as she grabbed a pile of packets off the table. We all groaned. She handed them out, then explained a little about the project. It had to do with how well plants grow but other than that I was really confused. "Alright so this project is due on Wednesday, February 24th and you'll be doing it with a partner." My teacher said as she walked back to her desk. I looked over at Erica and she nodded. We're always partners. But then my teacher came back with a deck of cards.

Damn it.

"But you won't be doing this project with the normal person you do it with." My heart started beating now as I looked around the room to the few kids in the class.

I looked at Colby.

Please no.

She handed us each a card then told us to find the person with the matching number and go sit with them. I looked at my card. It was a 3. I looked around the room where everyone was holding up their numbers. Everyone started getting up now, finding their partners. I stayed seated though. But just then I heard Colby's voice, "who has a 3?"

Fuck. Why me. Why why why why.

My heart started beating fast as I looked back down at my card. It was a 3.

I looked up at Colby now who was standing up. I got up, took a deep breath, walked over to him, held the card up for him then smiled. He smiled too then sat down. I sat down next to him.

I was shaking. Why was I shaking?

The teacher explained to us a little more about the project then told us we'd be working on the project every day in class until it's due. This was a big project and counted for 50 percent of our grade this semester.

Colby turned and faced me now. "So Aubree, what plant do you think we should use?" I blinked a few times. He knows my name?

I didn't say anything for a while. All I was doing was studying his face. That sounds weird I know but I was just getting a good look at him.