Chapter 20

"Well, look who it is." I heard Brooke say now as she made her way over to Colby again, her arms crossed over her chest.

I studied Colby's eyes as he inched toward me a bit. "Aubree," he said now. I took a deep breath but I didn't say anything. I didn't know what to say.

I heard Brooke chuckle behind Colby, "Hey Aubree, remember when I told you he'd break your heart? You shoulda listened to me."

I felt my heart racing now. No wonder she said that to me, that bitch.

I watched as Colby turned away from me and got up in Brooke's face. She took a step back, she looked a little scared now.

"Wow," Colby said to her as he clenched his fists at his sides, "You bitch."

It's like he took the words right out of my mouth.

Brooke smiled at him again, but this time she turned around and made her way down the hallway and down the stairs. I could tell Colby's blood was boiling. He turned back to me now, his face was red.

I crossed my arms now as I looked up at him. "Colby," I started but he cut me off. "Aubree, we need to talk. Can we please talk?" I felt myself shaking, what would he want to talk about? If it was about Brooke I didn't want to hear it.

I took a deep breath then let it out slowly. "There's nothing to talk about." I said finally. But Colby wasn't giving up. "Aubree please, I want to fix this." His eyes moved back and forth between mine. He was begging me with his eyes.

I nodded then, "Fine, you have 5 minutes." I said as I placed my hands on my hips now. I looked past Colby as a few kids made their way down the hallway past us. Colby sighed, "Not here." He said as he made his way past me to an open door a few steps down the hallway.

I followed him into the room. It was dark besides the street light that was shining through the window. It looked like we were in a bedroom, Sam's maybe. Colby closed the door after me then leaned against the door. I stood across from him, my arms crossed again, "Okay, what?" I asked.

Part of me was curious to know what he had to say and part of me just wanted to get back downstairs to Danny.

Colby took in a deep breath, "Aubree, I've been lost without you. I know you've heard all of this already but I am broken. I am so SO sorry that I hurt you, I wish I could go back to that night..." He hesitated now, then continued, "with Brooke, and I wish I could take it back, but I can't. And I fucking hate myself for that. She had been texting me that whole night trying to get me to invite her over. I finally just told her to come over so she'd leave me alone. But that was the wrong decision. I regretted it the minute she left that night."

I was still shaking listening to Colby. I knew one thing was for sure.

He did look broken.

"And Aubree," Colby continued as he took a step closer to me, "I am so fucking sorry I was trying to hide us. That was so stupid of me to do. I was just afraid because I've never liked anyone as much as I like you. I didn't want people knowing because I was afraid...." he stopped and took another breath, "I was afraid someone would try and take you from me."

I let his words sink in. I hadn't taken my eyes off of him. His eyes were tired, so tired. He looked like he was about to fall apart right there. I felt a tear run down my cheek now, I didn't even realize I had started crying.

Colby sniffed and wiped his eyes now. "Seeing you with Danny, it's killing me." He said. He stepped closer to me, I could feel his body so close to m now.