Leaving And On Our Way

Astrid POV

It took us three days to get everything ready. With the help of the Darling's, I sold all of our furniture so the apartment looks pretty empty with just boxes and suitcases. My car is no SUV so we have to limit what we will take. 

I know school does not end yet but I spoke to her teachers and the principal

I know school does not end yet but I spoke to her teachers and the principal. They were okay with it and Zephyr said her goodbyes sadly and her teachers told her that everything was going to be okay. I feel bad for doing this to her but it is the only way to protect ourselves. Her especially.

We need to stay under the radar for now. All we are going to take is clothes and a few essential items that are small and can fit, that includes Stormfly. I decided to leave early in the morning so I sent Zephyr to sleep earlier than usual.

"Mom."

"Hmm."

"I'm scared." After hearing that I got out of my sleeping bag and went to her and started rocking her like I use to do when she was a baby. "Remember baby, I will never leave you. I will always be by your side. It will always be you and me together." I heard a little snore after that and that made me fall asleep.

My phone alarm went off at 3 am and I got a knock at the door. It was Wendy and wide awake. "Ready?" she whispers. I nodded and peter came in to get the last of the boxes that can fit in the car. I carry Zephyr still wrapped up in her sleeping bag. "Okay, we're ready."

"Please be safe and call me when you get there."

"Take care of yourselves and each other."

With tears, I hugged them both and even though it was dark I could tell they were both crying. I got in my car and left. Took one last look at them and drove further and further. 

Nobody knows where we were going just the Darling's. They know to not tell anyone who asks. All everyone knows is that we were moving, that's it. I am feeling relieved and at the same time nervous. I haven't seen everyone back home in years. I was planning to go visit but the debts I had to pay were what stopped me from going, thankfully I had somewhere to go where I was going to feel safe and I can sort things out on how to protect Zephyr. Most importantly, Zephyr will be safe. 

It was 7:30 and I know we have to get breakfast somewhere. I knew I had to make a stop. I saw a Mcdonald's. With my hair being all over the place I decided to put my hood on. Zephyr was still sleeping. She will wake up with the smell of the McGriddles and I was right. 

"Good morning." I greeted her.

"Morning."

"Hungry?"

"Yeah, how much further do have to go."

"According to Siri, we will get there at around noon or 1."

"That's all day," she whinnied, "I have to use the bathroom"

I chuckled and parked at a rest stop. I wanted to call Iduna but I realized something, Ingrid can be capable of tracking me down since she has my number. I saw a public phone and grabbed some of the quarters I had in the cupboard. Didn't think they existed anymore, but thankfully they do. I wrote Iduna's and Wendy's numbers down and then grabbed the GPS that Wendy gave me, just in case. After I got everything ready I dialed her number and she answered. I kind of feel bad because I feel like I woke her up. 

"Hello?"

"Iduna, it's me"

"Astrid?"

"Long story but I am coming with Zephyr."

"Where are you?"

"In a rest stop, I am close to Charlottesville. I will make it soon. "  

"Okay, we will get everything ready for you."

"Okay, see you soon. Bye"

"Bye."

Zephyr came back relieved and noticed that Stormfly was singing her usual tune. "Are we almost there?"

"We have 3 hours left and we will be there."

"3 hours? I don't know if Stormfly can wait."

I gave a little chuckle, "well, the more we wait here the longer it will take to get there." She nods and gets in the car. We drove and we drove. Zephyr and I talked and laughed, forgetting the real reason why we left Pittsburg. 

My heart paces so fast as many memories come back. I am so ready to start over here back at my home sweet home.