Chapter Fourteen

I walked quickly to my room and changed into a pair of pjs. I had completely ignored everyone else in the common room. I put my hair in a high ponytail. I put my mothers ring on the nightstand.

Once I was done I came out to see the whole house there. I heard Joy call for me, I found her and she motioned me to sit with her. I walked over there I was the only one in the common room wearing P.Js.

"Did you hear?" Sydney said rolling her eyes. She looked so disappointed.

"Hear what?" I asked as I got comfy on the chair I was sitting at. Over looking the whole crowd of students.

"A snake broke in to the common room!" Kris almost yelled, I made a face. I thought I had dreamt that. Surely I did.

"Precious?" I whispered to myself as Sydney looked to me strange flipping her hair to hit me in the face.

"What was that?" She asked standing up.

"The Snake, how'd he get here?" I asked overlooking her question. I didn't want to say I talked to an animal. That sounds crazy. Right?

"Nobody knows," Joy said slouching. She had bruises on her face that made my jaw clinch. I couldn't believe that had happened.

Mayce could tell it was bugging me. She put her hand on my forearm and shook her head.

"Nova, it's not worth it,"she said in a whispering voice.

"What?" I asked not realy wanting to talk about this subject. "It's not okay, she shouldn't be able to be here if she got you that bad! Surely there's some handbook for bullying!"

"There's not," Kris said.

Joy's face looked innocent as if she had never hurt anyone in her life.

"Why are you letting this get to you so bad?" Sydney asked as she rolled her eyes at me and let out a laugh. I looked to her and shook my head.

"Nobody deserves to be picked on like that, not even Neville," I mumbled as I looked at my feet.

"Honestly, I think she had it coming to her. Builds character," she said slowly. She sorta giggled. I looked to Joy as she looked threatened almost.

"You shouldn't be skipping through the hallways. It makes you an easy target," she said as she raised her eyebrows. My eyes darted from Joy to Sydney.

"Sydney-"

"Don't you start Kris, we all knew it was going to happen," she said crossing her arms and sitting back," you're about as guilty as I am. Nobody told her to lay off-"

"I stood up for her!" I said as Sydney laughed hysterically.

"You think that's going to help her? That just makes her a bigger target! Once you realize that it's kill or to be killed world, that's when your life starts," she said getting up from the table and heading to the rooms.

I gulped and looked to Joy who was now on the verge of tears. She bit her lip.

"D-Don't worry, I know you were just t-trying to help," she said.

"Joy, I should have told you sooner. Draco told me and I didn't want to believe it. I even looked up spells to protect you so I could help you," I said calmly.

"Why would you not tell me?" She asked.

"I thought I could protect you and that smiling face," I said not really wanting to say much. I could say more, but I have a feeling they'd all turn on me, so I stayed quiet.