Chapter 7

I drive all the way to the drug store, not even saying anything else to Thomas. I grab a box of pregnancy test strips and check it out. My fingers nervously tap a rhythm on the desk as the cashier rings it up. I hurry out of the store and drive home.

I scurry to the bathroom and follow the steps of the test. After I've done my business, I check the strip. I let out a sigh of relief. Negative. No baby. Yet. I head out of the bathroom and Thomas glances over at me. Relieved, I smile and shake my head. He sighs out of relief. We aren't ready for a baby. Not now anyway. Before I leave the room, I throw him a box of condoms I purchased at the last minute. Just in case.

~

It's evening, and I start getting ready for work. Thomas is sitting on the couch, his leg resting on his knee, flipping through a magazine. I grab my purse and keys. I open up the door, and I glance over at him. He nods at me with a reassuring look. I smile and close the door. I walk down the hall, the thought occurring to me. Can I trust him? I almost shake the thought away, but then I realize: I trusted him before, and he let me down. He has to earn back his trust now.

-

I finish my shift, and almost shut off my checkout lane when, at the last minute, a burly man comes through. I look up at him. It's the same man that provided the beer for the alley way parties. This time all he's purchasing is cigarettes. Considering it's only one item and that I really don't want to get into a heated argument, I decide to check out his item. As I hand him his change, he says, "We haven't seen your boyfriend in a while. It's been less fun without him." My gaze meets his. How did he know that? All I do is stare. Thomas, for some reason, must've told him while he was out partying with them. The man gives off a weary smile then walks out of the store with his purchase. I sigh, exhausted from the day, and shut off my lane before peering around me. "See ya," my coworker, Evan, says. I wave and walk out into the frosty January air.

I arrive at the apartment and Thomas is studying his laptop screen. Carefully, I set my things on the kitchen counter and glance over at his screen. He's looking up jobs. I walk over to our small bedroom and change into some comfy clothes. I don't want to bother him, so I make some hot chocolate, grab my favorite book, and snuggle up on the couch. Halfway through a chapter, my eyes start feeling a little droopy. But I don't want to fall asleep yet. I want to spend time with him before I fall asleep. But sleepiness overpowers me, and I fall asleep right there on the couch.

When I wake up, Thomas is sitting by me, petting my head. I reach for his hand and hold it tight. "Tomorrow we have to leave this place. So we'd better get packing today love," he whispers. I open my eyes. That's right. Tomorrow's the day we leave. Then we move in with Rachel's family. I sit up. He pushes a stray hair behind my ear, and smiles. I lean closer to him, and our lips meet. "I promise I'll find a job. I'll make everything better," Thomas says, still holding on to my hand. I nod. I lean closer to his neck and whisper in his ear. "We'll do this. Together. You're not alone."

We spend the whole day packing up our belongings. I let Rachel know we are coming straight in the morning. We pack up everything except the couch that sits perfectly centered in the living room. Thomas and I share this last night in this place that has been ours for as long as we can remember. On this couch that obtains so many memories. We fall asleep, hand in hand. My heart beating with his.