Chapter 23

I return home, and just as I had suspected, Thomas was worried sick.

"I tried calling you but you never answered. I was about to go look for you," he says, pulling me into an embrace.

"I'm fine," I reply bluntly. Thomas's eyebrows twist in hurt.

"I'm sorry. Today was a long day," I say, then kiss him on the cheek and run up to my bedroom.

I close the door and lay on the bed. I stare up at the ceiling. Why would Ky act like that? I thought he was a good guy. But then again, he did imply he had a bad past. Still though. If being apart of gangs was his bad past, then why would he suddenly be the leader of one? Confusion swirls in my mind.

Just then, I hear a knock on my door and Thomas comes walking in. I lift up, and he sits beside me on the bed. "Everything alright, love?" he asks.

"Yeah," I lie. "People just aren't who they seem to be."

"Please tell me this isn't about that Ky fellow," Thomas says.

"No. It's just..," I quickly think of someone, when someone comes to mind, "Evan. Yep. Total jerk."

"Evan?" Thomas asks in awe, his eyes widening. "Co-worker Evan?"

"Yeah. Thought he was a cool guy but I was wrong. Blamed me for knocking the cereal boxes off the shelves. Jerk move, right?" I say, fabricating the lie as I go.

Thomas raises an eyebrow, and only then do I realize that I've said too much, making me look suspicious. I quickly change the topic.

"I'm gonna get something to eat," I tell him, then get up from the bed and make my way downstairs.

I stroll into the kitchen, where Rachel is spoon feeding Rebecca. I ignore conversation and grab an apple.

"Hi to you too?" Rachel calls out, just as I am about to exit the kitchen.

"Hey," I reply.

"You okay?" she asks.

"Never better," I reply casually, then lounge on the couch. I was horrible at keeping it cool.

I was dreading to see Ky at work tomorrow. If he'd even show up. Now that I knew he was a part of a gang, much less the boss of one, I wasn't expecting much out of him.

Still, a sting of pain stabs at my insides. I shake off the thought. I was with Thomas. Not Ky. Let him go.

I eventually fall asleep on the couch amidst my thoughts, and when I wake, it's morning. A blanket is over my body. I lift up and my back screams in protest. My neck doesn't fair too well either. I rub away the tiredness out of my eyes and get up.

I look at the chair beside the couch and saw that Thomas is lying there, snoozing away, He must've put the blanket on me. I kiss him on the forehead and proceed upstairs to get ready for work.

I hop in the shower, and scrub and rinse. The hot water feels like paradise on my aching body. I shampoo my hair and make sure everything is washed, then get out. I dry myself off and put on my clothes.

By then, Thomas is already up and he peeks in my bedroom. "You're lucky I got dressed before you came strolling in here," I tell him, burning my gaze into his eyes.

His eyes widen and he holds up his hands in defense. "I swear I had no clue," he confesses.

I smirk and put on my name tag. 'BROOKE'. Or, as Evan usually called me when I first started working at Walmart, Babbling Brooke. And he wasn't wrong. I asked questions like a madman. Little did I know, Evan had only been working 3 weeks before I got there. No wonder he could barely deal with customers.