Chapter 24

It's not long before I regain consciousness. I wake up to the sound of sirens and frantic voices. I am in the back of a car, with men sitting on either side of me. I wriggle around. My hands and legs are bound together. Again.

"Hey, she's up!" a man's voice says. I recognize the voice, too. It's Beardie, one of the 'gang' members I had an encounter with, and now Haley's recruit.

I look around. Haley is frantically driving the car, and another man sits in the passenger seat. He turns his head to the side, and I instantly know who it is. His deep blue eyes reflect off the moon.

My phone then buzzes, and I pray that the burly men beside me don't notice. Instinct tells me it's Thomas wanting to know where I'm at. I can't believe I'm saying this, but thank God for my previous encounter with Haley, otherwise Thomas wouldn't constantly wonder about me when I'm gone so long. At least rescue, if possible, will be quicker.

The car suddenly comes to a screeching halt. Haley yells at Ky. I hadn't been paying attention to the current conversation.

"Can you two argue at a better time? Pretty sure the cops will be on our trail soon!" Beardie yells.

"Shut up!" Haley yells. "I know what I'm doing. And the cops aren't going to catch us."

"You sure about that?" the man to my left asks. "We're all over the news. Well, you are anyway."

"Exactly. I am," Haley says, then smirks.

"I don't get it," Beardie says.

"She's going to make one us drive," Ky interjects, his voice laced with annoyance.

"Ohhh," the men say in unison.

"Why are you doing this, Haley? Huh?" I ask.

Haley glances at me, a fiery passion of evil burning in her eyes. But yet, she still managed to stay calm.

"Because I'm with some guy you liked in high school?" I press, desperate to smack some sense into her.

She looks at me in a deranged manner. "Some guy?! Oh, dear. That's where you've made a mistake. At least I can appreciate Thomas for what he really is. My soulmate."

Even the brute men sitting beside me look a little creeped out.

I decide not to answer. Haley is seriously messed up in the head.

"Kevin, you are driving. I'm going to be in the passenger seat to tell you where to go. And Ky will be in the back with, it," she gestures to me with a disgusted face. "And the other guy."

They nod, and Haley, Ky, and Beardie, who I now know is named 'Kevin', get out of the car. They switch seats and Ky is awkwardly sitting beside me. I ignore conversation. However, if I were to make any, it'd be alone and in an attempt to convince him to let me go.

We begin driving once again, and my phone buzzes for the second time. Ky glances at my pocket. He reaches down and pulls out my phone. He turns it on and the screen buzzes to life. I can catch a glimpse of the screen, and I think it says 'Thomas'. He tosses it to the side.

"You are going to love your new stay, Brookie," Haley says, looking at me.

"I highly doubt that," I reply, trying to keep calm.

"Come on. No need to be sour," she says, smiling.

"I hate you."