Chapter 18

It's been 2 days since I was rescued from Haley's hell house. The police haven't caught her yet. They did catch her accomplice, though. Turns out, he admitted being called to the gas station by Haley because she knew I escaped from the basement. That must've been who she was talking to on the phone when I sneaked up the stairs. And as for Bella, she was also rescued, and is being treated for her injuries.

I lay on the couch, protected in Thomas's arms. He has been more protective than ever. I look up at him, and he kisses me on the forehead. I embrace his presence.

Rachel walks in with a cup of coffee, and hands it to me. "Thanks," I say, then take a sip.

"I hope they find that psychopath," Rachel says, the psychopath being Haley obviously.

I don't say anything, just stay nestled in Thomas's arms. I take another sip of coffee. Thomas turns on the TV, and I steal a glance at it, even though I told myself I wouldn't. I can't get over the fact that I was held at gunpoint and kidnapped to be tortured.

The news is on, and the story on what happened those few days ago. "..and eye witnesses say the shaken up woman came hurdling into the gas station, and immediately asked for help," the news lady says. "Not too long after, the suspects' accomplice, who happened to be at the scene, attempted to kidnap the woman once again, when the clerk stepped in and caused the man to flee. Police arrested the man not too far from the gas station. He is currently awaiting trial."

I hide my face in Thomas's chest, trying to rid my mind of the haunting memories. He rubs my back and then turns off the TV. "I'm sorry, love. I just had to know what they did with that bloody scum."

Suddenly, there is a knock on the door. Rachel gets up to go get it. I hear the door swing open. "Hello?" she asks.

"Good afternoon," a deep voice says, "May I come in?"

"Of course," Rachel says, then I hear footsteps and the door closes.

I look up and see a man in a black suit. He holds out a hand. I shake it and sit up.

"I'm FBI Detective James O'Donnel. I came to ask you a few questions," the tall man says.

I nod, and prepare myself for the roll of questions I get constantly.

After the Q&A is over, I go up to my bedroom and lay down. I look around the room, until I see the picture frame on my nightstand. Haley's haunting face still lurks in the background. Tears of frustration form in my eyes, and I hurl the picture to the ground. I don't want to ever see her face again.

Thomas swings the door open. "You alright?" he asks.

I wipe the tears from my eyes and nod. "Yeah, just trying to get my anger out, that's all."

Thomas comes over and sits by me on the bed. He grabs my hand and holds it. I lay my head on his shoulder, and a tear slips down my cheek. He notices this and wipes it away from my face.

"They're gonna get her, I know they will," Thomas says.

"I hope so," I reply.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darkness fills my vision. I hear evil laughs. "I'm coming for you," a feminine voice says. No doubt in my mind that it's Haley.

I'm running down an alleyway. Her footsteps are growing louder. "Leave me alone!" I yell, but she doesn't stop.

I run right into a dead end. I pant in and out. I'm trapped. I turn around, and Haley is there. She laughs, a malicious grin growing on her face.

"Hold on," I say. "This isn't real. It's just a dream."

Haley continues smiling, unfazed by my words.

"I'm done with you. I'm not going to let you haunt me anymore!" I yell.

I focus all of my anger into my being, and expel Haley from my thoughts. Poof. She's gone.

I laugh out of relief. She's gone. For now. But instead, Thomas stands in her place.

"Brooke," he says, walking over to me. "Wake up."

I smile and nod. "Now I can."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My eyes snap open. Thomas is looking down at me, his brows furrowed with worry. "You're sweating like crazy, love," he says.

I sit up. Cold air hits me in the face, and it feels soothing. My pajamas are sticking to my body, and I wipe my forehead. Sweat.

"Did you have a nightmare?" Thomas asks, placing his hand on the lower part of my back.

"Sorta, but I got rid of it."

Thomas still looks confused.

"I'm okay," I reassure him, then lean over and kiss him on the lips. At first, he is caught off guard, but then embraces it.

I look over at the clock. 6:32 am. Looks like I'm gonna get a bit of a head start on today.

"I'm gonna go take a shower," I say, then get up off the bed.

"Alright," Thomas says, then lays back down.

When I'm finished with my shower, Thomas is up and getting ready. I have a towel tucked around my nude body. Thomas looks up, one eyebrow raised, and smiles.

"Get," I say, then laugh.

He sighs, then exits the room.

I remove the towel and start putting on my work clothes. Walmart, here I come.

I kiss Thomas goodbye, and we both leave for work at the same time. "Be careful," he says.

"I will," I say.

I check in at 8 o'clock, when my coworker, Evan, walks up to me. "Hey," he says, "I saw you on the news last night. You okay?"

"Yeah," I reply.

"I hope they catch Haley," he says.

"Me too," I say.

I finish off the rest of my shift, and finally leave work.

I return home, and Rachel is in the kitchen. Rebecca giggles and stumble into my arms. I pick her up. "You're getting so big," I tell her in baby talk.

"I have lunch ready for you on the counter if you're hungry," Rachel says, peeking her head into the room.

"Okay," I reply.

I sit Rebecca on the ground, then get up and walk to the kitchen. "Any news yet on Haley?" I ask, sliding the plate of a sandwich and chips closer to me.

"No," Rachel sighs, "But they did say that Bella was in stable condition, and would be leaving the hospital tomorrow morning."

I am taken aback by her comment. Bella was in the hospital all that time? What had Haley done to her?

Rachel glances at me, and I can tell that she notices the shock in my eyes. "The police say they're monitoring all of the local airports in case she tries to fly back to England. I'm sure they will send out an alert or something," she adds.

"I hope they catch her," I murmur, the fear of Haley and what she is capable of, returning. "I don't want anyone else to be one of her victims."

"You and me both," Rachel agrees, then walks into the living room to check on Rebecca.

I take the first bite out of my sandwich, foolishly hoping that I could just chew away my fears.