Chapter 14

I head out the front door, unable to suppress my happiness. Thankfully, the park is only a 10 minute walk away. Since no one is home, as you can imagine, no cars were available either.

I walk and walk down the sidewalk until finally the park comes into view. I pick up my pace, letting the cool wind hit me in the face. I turn and walk in the soft plush grass.

Confused as to where I'm supposed to go, I scout the area. I see a blanket laying on the grass not to far from me. Deciding I have nothing to lose, I walk over to the area. No one seems to be at the park, which is strange. I stand awkwardly, waiting for Thomas to show up. Maybe he went to use the bathroom. Who knows how long he's been waiting for me to open up that little note that was in my coat pocket.

Suddenly, a loud chorus of voices boom out from beyond the trees. My heart beat quickens and I am stunned, until I realize that they're saying "HAPPY BIRTHDAY."

I look around and notice people jumping out from behind trees and benches. How I didn't notice their presence before, I'll never know. Just then, I see Rachel and Thomas appear from the crowd of about 30 people. I recognize many familiar faces. My dad, brother, even Megan. She surely has changed her tune since highschool.

As Thomas approaches me, a wide grin is plastered into his face. I playfully hit him on the arm, then pull him into a hug.

"Happy Birthday, love," he says into my ear.

"Did we scare you?" Rachel asks, a smile emerging.

"Would you be happy if I said yes?" I ask.

"Just a little," Rachel says, beaming with pride.

Thomas exchanges glances with her. "Yep, it was all Rachel's idea."

"Wow," I say in amazement, "Well, you did good, because I really was fooled into thinking that I was going to have a peaceful birthday."

Thomas laughed, "Sorry."

"It's okay," I say, "I'll get my revenge."

Thomas's eyes open wide, and I laugh.

I turn my head and see my dad and brother coming. I pull them into a hug. "Happy Birthday, honey," my dad says.

"Thanks dad," I say then turn to my brother.

"Where's my happy birthday wish?" I ask with a smile.

My brother smiles and rolls his eyes. "Happy Birthday," he says at last. I give him a hug.

"We're celebrating tonight, also," Rachel says from behind me. I turn to her and see a smile has formed on her face. I don't even have to ask where. She's been trying to get me to celebrate my birthday at a bar, but I've never been interested in doing so. There's so many drunk people at bars, as you can imagine. Not my ideal place of celebrating a birthday.

As if Rachel read my thoughts, she says, "It'll be fun. It's just gonna be me, you, Thomas, and a few other people I'm sure you'll know."

I nod. "Okay, but I'm not ordering a drink."

"Of course," Rachel says.

We soon serve cake and I open a few gifts that I received from relatives and friends. Thomas hands me a small box about halfway through my opening of gifts. I thank him. The box is velvet red, with a silver bow wrapped around it. I carefully untie the box and lift up the top of the box.

Inside, there's a beautiful silver necklace. The pendant is a silver heart with studded diamonds. On the back it says, 'Forever and Always. Love, Thomas'

I feel myself begin to tear up. I quickly wipe away at my watery eyes and then get up and hug Thomas. We don't say anything. I'm at a loss for words. I love him so much.

"Happy Birthday," he repeats, whispering in my ear.

"Thank you," I finally manage to say. "I love you."

Eventually, night comes and I get myself prepped for the party. The 'real' party, as Rachel likes to say. I don't go all out on my outfit. I wear skinny jeans and a cute black blouse. I match it with some black heels and the new necklace Thomas got for me. I look at myself in the mirror. Twenty-two and still looking good, I think and laugh. (AN: here comes the Taylor Swift references lol)

Just then, someone knocks on my door and I jump. "You ready?" Rachel asks.

"Yeah," I reply, then grab my purse and head out of the room.

We arrive at the bar and Rachel finds us a seat at the counter. I sit in the middle; Thomas on my left and Rachel on my right. A blonde barmaid walks up to us. "What can I get y'all? she asks with a thick southern accent.

"Water for me, thank you," I say.

"Same here," Thomas says, then shifts in his seat.

The barmaid writes these orders down then glances up at Thomas. "Well, I'll be darned. Where have I seen your face before?"

Thomas taps on the counter, obviously uncomfortable.

"You look like a man who'd drink a beer. Want me to get you a beer?" the barmaid says, completely changing topic.

"No," Thomas says, too fast. "No, thank you. Just a water."

The woman shrugs, then walks off.

I turn towards Thomas. I can tell he's still haunted by his alcoholic past. I lay my head on his shoulder. I then look to my right and see that Rachel is already drinking a margarita.

The barmaid comes back and hands us our drinks. We thank her and she walks away. I drink my water, and converse with Thomas and Rachel. Just then, I feel someone tap my back. I turn and see that it is Megan.

"Hey!" she exclaims, already reaching to pull me into a hug.

"Hi," I say awkwardly. It seems like she just completely forgot about our high school history together. However, it's not the first time she's been unnervingly friendly to me before.

"Happy Birthday," she says. "You look great."

"Thanks," I reply, a little unsure if she means it. But somewhere deep down inside is telling me that maybe she's being sincere.

"And Thomas," Megan says, "So nice to see you again." She outstretched her hand.

"Same to you," Thomas replies, shaking hands with her.

Then, a tall man with shaggy brown hair and green eyes walks up behind Megan.

"I would like to introduce you guys to my husband, Ricky," Megan says.

The man, Ricky, holds out a hand. We shake it.

Megan and Ricky sit down and we all talk. About 20 minutes into the conversation, I get the sudden urge to use the bathroom. I look at my empty glass sitting by me. Too much water.

I excuse myself and scurry to the bathroom. I get into a stall and close the door, then do my business. After that's done, I wash my hands. I check my hair in the mirror, when I see another woman walk in behind my reflection. My breath almost catches in my throat. No big deal, right? Woman use public restrooms all the time. But this woman is not the one you'd want to be alone with.

She turns and looks at me through the mirror. She smiles a devilish grin, her blood red hair cascading down her shoulders. "Why, hello there," she says in her familiar accent, that malicious grin never leaving her face. "What a surprise finding you here."