Chapter 25

"Let's go," a police officer suddenly says to me. Thomas and I break our embrace. "You have a lot of explaining to do," he says.

"I know," I reply. So much has happened, I'm not surprised.

I follow the police officer out of the room and he takes me to his cop car.

"First of all, we're gonna get you into an ambulance to make sure you're okay," he says.

"She killed him," I say blankly.

The cops' eyebrows arch. "Excuse me?"

"Evan. She killed him. Right in front of me."

"There was a shooting near a Walmart," the cop replies, checking the laptop in his car. "I assume it was in correlation to the kidnapping."

I nod. For a cop, he didn't seem too bright. Of course it was connected to the kidnapping. What else happens in this city unless it has something to do with Haley?

"The ambulance is on its way," he tells me.

"Please tell me he's okay," I tell him.

"Hard to tell. The bullet hit the chest, and if it severed a major artery, it won't be good. Right now he's unresponsive. They're doing all they can."

Sirens sound, and I glance to my right. An ambulance pulls up. The cop guides me over to the vehicle and I step in the back. I lay down on a stretcher inside and medics automatically start checking my vitals. Two shadows catch my eye from outside, and it's Rachel and Thomas. They climb in the ambulance with me as soon as they get the okay.

Thomas sits beside me and holds my hand. He rubs the top of my hand with his thumb.

"At least Haley's dead," Rachel says. "And that you're okay."

"Too bad she had to die in the end, though. I know she was a nut job and tried to kill me several times but-" I stop. There was no way I could say she didn't deserve to die. She was messed up in the head. "Never mind. You're right, Rachel."

"All that matters now is that you're safe," Thomas says, and smiles weakly.

The vehicle jerks forward, and we ride on. In no time at all, it comes to a stop. The back door of the ambulance opens, Thomas and Rachel step out, then I am wheeled out of ambulance. My thoughts flash to Evan. He gets shot and lays on the ground for a good amount of time, meanwhile I'm not even hurt and I'm being wheeled on a stretcher.

"Get me off this stretcher," I say to no one in particular. "I'm fine." I begin sitting up.

"Just wait until we get inside," Thomas whispers to me, glancing at the medical tools that are attached to my arms.

Eventually we make it into the hospital room, and it's not long before I get the okay to leave. Of course, not "leave for home" leave, but "leave for the police station to answer questions" leave. However there is one thing I want to do before I leave.

"Excuse me," I say to a nurse.

She turns around. "Yes?"

"Is there an Evan Jenkins staying at this hospital? He was shot earlier today."

She checks her clipboard. "Actually, I'm just about to refill his feeding tube. However, visiting hours are closed. I'm sorry."

"Please let me see him," I plead, ignoring her. "He's a good friend of mine and I just want to see how he's doing."

She pauses, obviously thinking to herself, then sighs. "Alright. Follow me."

We head down the quiet and empty hallway, an occasional sickly cough breaking the silence, until we follow the nurse into a room on the right of the hallway.

I step in, and there I see him, unconscious with a tube down his mouth. This isn't good. He can't breathe on his own, either? My eyes water. He didn't deserve this. And part of me feels responsible, even though Haley was the one who pulled the trigger.

Thomas pulls me into a hug, and I weep into his shoulder. Rachel stands beside him and looks like she is going to cry herself. Please pull through, Evan.

Eventually we're asked to leave and we call for a taxi since Thomas's car was left at home. He said a police car took him and Rachel to Haley's hideout after the police were tipped on the location by an anonymous person. We tell the cab driver to take us to the police station so we can answer more questions.

Then, my memory flashes to Ky. I hadn't thought about him since we left for the hospital. Guilt and rage tore through me. Ky had spared my life, but at the same time, he betrayed me from the very beginning. What made him change his mind? What had Haley offered him in exchange for his help? Drugs, I think to myself. No doubt about it, him being the boss of a gang and all.

We make it to the police station, and they immediately take me into a room for questioning. It's just the basics, like "who was with you" and "what they did" and stuff like that. Then it got into more detailed questions. Like how long I'd been in a conflict with Haley and if I recognized any of the other people with her. I bit my lip, then told him the whole backstory with Ky and his gang. They knew a bit about Ky before this. They said that he'd gotten in trouble numerous other times for small things. But they didn't know he was apart of a gang.

Eventually, the officers asked enough questions and they let me go. They thanked me and I was dismissed.

"Done," I say to Thomas who was waiting for me in the car.

He smiles and I hop in the passenger seat. We drive off. After a little bit, we make it home, and I head upstairs to bed. I need sleep. Too much has happened in one day. Way too much. I toss and turn until finally, I close my eyes and drift off to sleep.

The next morning, I'm awoken by a blaring alarm clock. I groan. I must've set that in advance since I thought I was going to work. I glance at it and slam my palm down on the snooze button. I am ready to fall asleep once again when someone suddenly walks into my room. I squint open an eye and see that it is Rebecca. She giggles and then crawls over to my side.

I laugh and decide it's time to wake up. I pick her up and sit her on my lap. "Oh, Rebecca," I say, then gently squeeze her leg.

Rachel peeks in, very cautiously. "Rebecca," she scowls. "Brooke was sleeping." She starts walking over to us.

"I was already up," I tell her.

She takes Rebecca from my arms. "Go on and sleep a little more."

"I'm good. No way I can go back to sleep now," I laugh.

"Well if you want cereal or something it's in the kitchen," she whispers, glancing at Thomas, who is still sleeping beside me.

"Okay," I yawn. "I'll be down in a bit."

Rachel exits the room and I'm left thinking to myself with Thomas's soft, even breaths in the background.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys! Sorry this isn't a very long chapter but I really wanted to get one out to you guys. Hopefully some things are explained in this chapter?.. lol. Any who, let me know what you thought and don't forget to vote if you enjoyed it and want more chapters:) bye!

-crankynewt