Chapter 9

I'm awoken from my dreams by a familiar voice. "Wake up," the voice says gently, shaking my shoulder back and forth. Thomas. I open my eyes and meet his, staring down at me with big brown eyes. He smiles and I do the same. I crane my next upward and my lips meet his. We soon break the kiss and I look around myself. His arms are on either side of me, and his body is angled so that his legs are hanging on the edge of the bed. He's wearing casual clothes.

"How long have you been up?" I ask out of curiosity. He lifts up.

"A couple of hours," he replies, checking his wristwatch, then back up at me. I glance over to the alarm clock that sits just inches away from me on a table. 11 a.m.

I sit up. "Figures. I barely got any sleep last night," I think out loud. Just then, Rachel walks in, cradling Rebecca in her arms.

"You up?" she asks, looking directly at me. I gesture to myself, waving my hands up and down. A giant smile forms on my face. Rachel laughs. "Duh. Sorry. I meant, are you ready to eat breakfast?"

I nod, laughing also. Rachel walks out, allowing me to get dressed. I glance at Thomas. His hands are in his pockets. A cheeky smile forms on his face. I walk over to him.

"You mean I can't stay?" he says childishly. I laugh and playfully shove him out of the room.

When I finish getting dressed, everyone else is sitting around the kitchen table, drinking coffee. I walk over and sit on Thomas' lap.

"You two are so cute," Rachel says with a smile. Mike sips his coffee and checks his watch. He gets up from his chair.

"Gotta run, I'll see you later honey," he says, getting up to give Rachel a kiss. "Have a good day," she says back. He then leans over and kisses Rebecca on her forehead.

"See ya guys," Mike waves to Thomas and I. We wave back and he scrambles out the front door.

"So," Rachel says, cupping her hands on the table, "What do you guys want to do today?"

I exchange glances with Thomas and then shrug. Rebecca breaks the silence by making giggling noises and splashing food everywhere. Baby food covers her face and hands. "Oh Rebecca," Rachel says. She then picks her up and whisks her out of the room.

I smile at Thomas and get up to look out the window. The morning clouds swirl in the sky. The temperature has rose a bit. Spring is near.

I hear Thomas get up from his chair and he wraps his arms around my waist. He kisses me on the cheek. "I promise I'll make this right," he whispers into my ear. "I know you will," I whisper back.

I hear footsteps from behind me and we turn around. Rachel is standing in the doorway, holding Rebecca, perfectly cleaned. "I'm sorry, did I interrupt you two love birds?" she says with a smile.

I laugh. "No, not at all." I follow up my statement by kissing Thomas again with an exaggerated 'mwah'.

Rachel walks around the kitchen and grabs paper towels and a spray bottle full of cleaning liquid. She carefully rips off a section of paper towel, all while holding Rebecca.

"I can take her for you," I say, outreaching my arms.

Rachel hands Rebecca over to me, and says, "Thank you."

Rebecca looks at me with her beautiful blue eyes. She giggles and reaches for a strand of my hair. I caress her soft cheek and smile. Thomas joins in and runs his hand down her face. She makes eye contact with him and giggles.

"All done," Rachel announces with an exhausted groan. She puts away the cleaning supplies and walks over to Thomas and I. She smiles. "Rebecca loves you guys," she says.

Rebecca then yawns. Her head barely stays up by herself. "Looks like someone is tired," Rachel says. I hand Rebecca back over to Rachel and she walks upstairs to put her in her crib.

I walk over to the spacious living room and slump on the couch. Memories of my past come to mind.

~

I slumped on my couch, TV remote in hand. My dog jumped on the couch with me. He lay his head on my lap. My phone rang. It was Thomas. It wasn't the first time he called since I left him back in England a couple of months ago.

I answered.

"Hello?"

"Hello? Could we talk?" he replied, his voice a bit shaky.

"Of course," I said.

"Well, you remember Bella, right?"

Oh no, I thought.

"Yes, why?"

"Me and her broke up last night," he said.

I gasped and placed a hand over my mouth, even though he couldn't see it.

"What? Why?"

"Because she didn't believe I loved her anymore. She must've seen how different I acted after you came to England for holiday a few months back."

I half smiled.

"Oh no, I'm sorry," I said, trying to sound truthful.

Deep down, I was a little relieved that they broke up. Now I didn't have to feel guilty about thinking of him as more than just a friend.

"It's alright, plenty of other fish in the sea, right?" he said.

"Yeah," I replied.

I heard muffled voices come from the background. Must be his parents.

"Sorry, love. Gotta go. Talk to me later?"

I subconsciously nodded and then realized he couldn't see me. "Yes, definitely."

"Alright, goodbye!"

He hung up the phone.

I held the phone close up to my chest. I wanted to dance in joy. Maybe all will be good between us?

~

"What are you thinking about?" Thomas says with a smile, pulling me out of my thoughts. I smile.

"When you told me that you and Bella broke up," I say. A spark of recognition flashes across his face. "Ahh," he says. He joins me on the couch.

"I hate to say it, but I was pretty happy," I say. He places his hand on my knee and laughs. And I was and still am. Because he is the best thing thats ever happened to me.