Chapter 21

When we arrive home, my scar has attracted obvious attention.

"What happened?" Rachel asks as Thomas and I walk into the house.

"Oh, uh, while we were..." I look over at Thomas, trying to think of a lie instead of telling Rachel what we were actually doing. "Shopping for... my aunt. My aunts cat," I quickly say.

"Without me?" Rachel asks, a bit of a hurt expression on her face. "You know how I used to love shopping for my cats."

I raise an eyebrow at her. She really fell for my lie? Whatever. She is still upset over not shopping when her original question was about my injury. My injury is more important I'd assume?

"Yeah, sorry," I tell her. "It was a last minute kinda thing."

"Well, alright. I'm just glad you're okay," she says, and smiles.

"Thanks."

"I thought Haley attacked you again or something," Rachel says, turning around.

"No," I reply, then have to ask, "Nothing new about her whereabouts?"

"Nope," Rachel says, frowning. "Why the heck are they having such a hard time finding her?"

I shrug. "She's good at disguising herself."

"But still. Police are trained to be aware of that kind of stuff. Why have they not found her yet?"

"Again, no clue. All we can do now is wait."

Rachel sighs, then walks into the kitchen. I sit on the couch, deep in thought. Ky. I can't get him off my mind, and it bothers me.

Thomas takes a seat beside me. "Hey," he says. "What are you thinking about."

"Stuff," I say blankly.

"Haley?"

I nod, not wanting to reveal my true thoughts.

"I bet you're thinking about that guy, too," Thomas adds, a bit of a frown appearing on his face.

"It was nice of him to help me, that's all. I couldn't believe a stranger would do that."

"Of course he would help you. He's got the hots for you."

I stare at the ground.

"Next thing I know he'll whisk you off and I'll never see you again." Thomas scowls, then stands up.

I stand up with him, and stare him in the eyes. "Hey. It was one encounter. It's not like I'm gonna see him ever again. He's not gonna whisk me off like I'm some sort of damsel in distress," I put my arms around Thomas's neck, then whisper in his ear, "You're my prince. And nothing will ever change that."

Thomas blushes, and smiles. "Alright. You promise?"

"I promise," I smile.

"Good."

I back away, and peer at the clock. "It's getting late. We better get some sleep."

Thomas nods. "Alright."

In the morning, I get dressed as usual and prepare myself for work.

"You sure you wanna go in today?" Thomas asks me as we sit at the kitchen table, eating breakfast.

"Yeah, it's just a little cut," I tell him. "Plus we need the money. I can handle it."

"Okay," Thomas says.

I pick up the last bit of eggs with my fork and then take a swig of milk. I get up, and push my chair in. "Thanks for the breakfast," I tell Rachel.