Chapter 27

A few years later...

I open my eyes. I inhale, then exhale slowly. Morning light seeps through the blinds of the bedroom. I glance over at Thomas, who lays sound asleep in our bed. I kiss him gently on the cheek. My phone suddenly rings.

"Hello?" I say.

"Hey!" a voice says on the other end. It's Rachel. I smile. "We're having a get together at the park at 1. You all should come by!"

"Sounds like a plan."

"Great. I'll see you there!" Rachel says, then hangs up.

I set the phone down and rub the sleepiness out of my eyes. I then gently shake Thomas awake. "Hey," I whisper. "Wake up sleepy."

He moans then shifts under the covers. "Just a few more minutes love," he mumbles, his eyes pinched shut.

"Okay, I warned you," I say quietly, then hop out of bed. I walk into the bedroom next door.

In the crib, a little girl with blonde hair and brown eyes looks at me. She giggles, and I pick her up. "Let's wake daddy up, Olivia," I whisper, then take her into the bedroom.

I set her down on the bed beside Thomas, and she crawls over to him. She giggles profusely, and tries climbing up him. Finally, Thomas wakes up.

He laughs. "Well, hi there you little bugger."

Olivia chuckles and starts messing with Thomas's hair. He sits up, then picks her up and sits her in his lap. She sticks her hand in her mouth, and looks up at Thomas.

I climb on the bed with them, and lay my head on his shoulder. "How's that for waking you up," I laugh.

"Cutest way I've ever been woken up, that's for sure. Besides you staring in my face and telling me to wake up."

"Aww you think I'm cute," I laugh.

"Of course," he says, then kisses me.

"So the reason I wanted you up is because Rachel wants us to come to a get together at the park."

"That sounds nice," he says, then glances down at Olivia. "Rebecca and Olivia could play together. Rebecca practically treats Olivia like her little sister."

"Yeah," I say, then smile. "So I'll go get ready and we can go out and get a dish to bring, okay?"

"Okay, sounds good," he says.

I bend down to face Olivia. "You can stay with daddy for a little," I say in my best baby voice.

She giggles in response.

After I've finished getting ready, I take Olivia and feed her. Thomas gets ready, and after we've both finished, we head to the store.

"We could get a casserole," I say to Thomas, pointing at the dish in the shelves. He shrugs.

I take it and place it in the cart. Olivia tries to touch it, but it's just out of reach. She whines, her eyes water, and then she starts crying.

I pick her up. "Shh it's okay," I say, rubbing her back. I glance at Thomas. "Could you get her a toy to play with until we checkout?"

He nods, then races down the isle. I continue to try and calm down Olivia, but she continues to cry. I rub her back, and reach for her milk bottle in my purse. I hand it to her, and her tiny fingers take it. She immediately starts drinking it, and that calms her down for the moment.