Chapter 3

When I woke up, it was already morning. Thomas's side of the bed was already made, and I could smell breakfast downstairs. Intense pain stung at my neck and shoulders as I got up. I slept in an awkward position last night. I waited until the pain slowly went away, then made my way downstairs.

Thomas was hard at work at the stove. I walked over to him. "Babe, you don't have to make breakfast," I said, playing with his bed hair. "Don't worry about it love," he replied, his eyes still glued to the cooking food.

I saw how much he wanted to stay there, causing me to say no more. I walked over to the kitchen table and sat down.

After we finished breakfast, Thomas decided he wanted to go look for another job. I lazily waited around the house for my shift at Walmart, trying my hardest to push the eviction notice in the back of my mind. Where would we go if Thomas didn't find another job? I'd hate to move in with my father. I would feel like such a burden. This is our mess, we'll deal with it. I hadn't even told him about it yet.

A couple hours go by, and Thomas hasn't come home yet. Not even a text or a call. Maybe he hooked a job and they're filling him in with details, I thought to myself. My shift would start soon. I put on my uniform and drove to work.

~~

I'm checking out groceries, when a familiar face shows up in line. It's the man that came here yesterday with the 3 packs of beer. And look; 6 more packs. I scanned the items, wondering how and why he's purchasing 6 more packs of beer, when he was here yesterday. I bagged his items, he paid, then left, looking as smug as ever. My shift ending and curiosity getting the best of me, I decide to follow this guy. He looks like he's up to no good.

I casually walk out the store, keeping a close eye on the man. He gets into a black van, and I hurry into my car. I scan the area, when I see his car pulling out. I do the same, intending to find out what this guys up to. Sure, it may not be my business, but with that much beer in such a little amount of time, means trouble.

It didn't take long for the man to reach his destination; an alley. He parked his car on the side of the building with a parking meter. I didn't think it was a good idea to get out of my car and step into a dark alley with who knows what. I don't know what I expected. It's not like the guy is going to drive to an open space, take out a whole bunch of beers, and chug? Of course he'd want to stay out of sight. I hear cat calls and whistles coming from within the alley. I know drinking beer is not all they're doing back there. The smell of smoke enters into the crack of my window. Drugs. Of course. Disgusted, I drive past the alleyway, glancing to the side to see if I could recognize any faces. I choke on the air around me. Thomas.