Chapter 15

My first instinct is to scream, yell, run. But I can't. I'm frozen in place. Haley stares at me, fire in her eyes. Something tells me she hasn't forgotten what happened all those years ago. And now that she knows I'm married to Thomas, well, that doesn't brighten up the situation.

She takes a step closer, until I realize that she is intending to do harm. I open my mouth to yell, but she comes darting over beside me and covers my mouth, preventing any sound to escape. I thrash against her grip, but she has a huge advantage over me.

"Don't think you'll get away that easily," she whispers harshly into my ear, her hand still over my mouth.

I've had enough. I open up my mouth and hardly clamp down on Haley's fingers. She yelps and retracts her hand. I glance at her and see blood dripping from her hand. She stares at her shaky blood covered hand, then looks back up at me. Anger flares in her eyes. I step back towards the door leading out of the bathroom, fearing Haley and what she is capable of.

She wipes the blood from the open wound on her pants, and then runs towards me. I turn around and reach for the door handle. I barely touch it when I feel her yank on my shirt and drag me to the ground. My chin slams on the tile floor and an explosion of pain spreads throughout my body.

I start screaming and flailing as she drags me across the floor. She sits me up and holds my neck back. "Didn't wanna have to do this," Haley says, then in the mirror, I see her pull out a shiny knife.

Suddenly, the door to the bathroom slams open and I see Rachel and Megan in the doorway. Then I see Thomas behind them, worry evident on his face.

Shock and fear strikes their faces. I notice Haley raise the knife to my throat, just barely touching my skin.

"Don't come any closer," Haley warns. "Or else I slice precious little Brookie's neck open."

"Haley, stop. Please," Thomas begs, his eyes watery.

"Oh, you mean, you don't want me to kill her? Because you love her SO much?" Haley exclaims, pinching my shoulder.

I know that Haley isn't going to listen to Thomas. She wants him to like her after all. I stare at Thomas, trying to tell him with my eyes that she won't listen to him.

He understands, and does not say anything else. Then Rachel steps in. "Haley, put the knife down. No one has to get hurt."

Haley cackles and then ferociously tugs on my hair, jerking my head back even more. "So cute," she laughs, then looks at me, a hint of craziness in her eyes, "Your little friend thinks that I came all this way just to sabotage the plan I've been devising for months."

She looks back at Rachel, the knife still gripped in her hand. "Well, sorry to mention it buttercup, but that's not going to happen."

I can see Thomas is anxious. Haley laughs once more. Rachel and Megan stand, shocked.

"What is it, then? Your plan?" Thomas speaks up.

Haley flashes him a look. "I'm so glad you asked," she says. She lowers the knife from my neck and let's go of my hair, giving relief to my neck.

She walks over to Thomas, spinning the knife in her fingers. The ones that aren't injured, anyway. Rachel and Megan step out of her way. She walks up to Thomas, and raises a hand to his cheek.

"The solution is quite simple, actually," Haley says.

She lowers her hand, and backs away. "I won't kill that git, if-" she pauses, then glances at me. "If Thomas goes back to London with me."

I want to protest, but I know that'll be a huge mistake. Haley smiles and looks at Thomas. "So what do you say?" she asks.

Thomas doesn't look at me, he keeps facing Haley. "No," he says.

Haley's smile disappeared and as quick as it did, she came running over to me. She doesn't get far until Thomas jumps on her, trying to swat the gleaming knife away from her grip. They wrestle and finally, the knife slides away from Haley.

I jump up and dive for the knife. Haley notices this and quickly pushes Thomas off. I grab the knife, and point it at Haley. "Stay away!" I yell.

She puts her hands up. "Okay," she says in a suspiciously calm tone.

I slowly get up, still pointing the knife at her. Thomas gets up, exhausted, his clothes and hair tousled. Haley stays where she is, her eyes never leaving mine.

Then, like a flash of lightning, Haley bolts up and tackles me to the ground, the knife flying from my hand. She starts clawing and punching me. There's no doubt that people have heard the commotion and have called the police.

I try my best to fight her off, but she seems unfazed by any punches I throw. Thomas pushes her off of me, when she does something none of us expected. She pulls out a gun.

She grabs me and wraps her arm around my neck. It's a struggle to even breathe. She points the gun at Thomas and the others. "Stay back or I will shoot!" Haley yells.

Outside, I hear the sound of police sirens. Haley slowly backs away, pulling me with her. She makes way for the emergency exit.

"If any of you even move a muscle, I will blow your brains out," Haley calls, almost to the exit.

I hear the front doors of the bar slam. The police are almost here. I pray that someone will distract Haley long enough until the police get here, but no one does. Everyone is frozen in fear, and I know why. I notice that the gun is now pointed to my temple.

She nudges open the door with her shoulder, still threatening everyone with the gun. I glance at Thomas. Rachel. Even Megan. I think of my dad, my brother. Even my dog Buster that I used to give belly rubs to. I brace myself, waiting for her to pull that trigger. Then it's lights out. Forever.

Instead, she runs out into the night, dragging me along with her. She shoves me into a car. There is already a person in the driver seat. She quickly runs to the passenger seat, and points the gun at me. "Step on it!" she yells to the driver.

And off we went, driving into the night.