Chapter 8

I wake up, finding myself sprawled out on the couch. Thomas sits, sleeping, just inches away from me. I check the clock. 8:34 am. I sit up and gently shake Thomas awake. His head shifts to the side, and he stretches. "What time is it, love?" he groans. "8:30," I reply. He fully sits up, and rubs the sleepiness out of his eyes.

"I'll go put our boxes in the lobby so we're ready for the moving truck," I say. Thomas nods. "Alright. I'll be there in a minute." I grab two boxes and make my way towards the elevator. I'm careful with each step so I won't lose balance and crash into the ground. The elevator dings and I hop out into the lobby. I place the boxes down. Trip one; successful.

Thomas and I continue this routine until all of the boxes are safely in the lobby. We place down the last of the boxes when we see a moving truck pull in by the front doors of the complex. I look at Thomas. Now we just have to get them on the truck.

We pull into a large driveway with a great big house. Rachel's house. Or, as I like to call it, a mansion. Rachel steps outside with a big smile on her face. We run into a hug. "So nice to see you guys," she says. Thomas walks up behind me. Rachel hugs him also. Her husband, Mike, steps out. We hug, and he shakes hands with Thomas. "Nice to meet you," Thomas says. Rachel leans over to me. "Would you like to see Rebecca?" she says. I nod. Rebecca is her 8 month old baby. I turn to Thomas. "We're going to see her daughter." Rachel pats our shoulders. "Our home is your home," she says with a smile. "Thank you," Thomas and I say in unison. Next thing I know, Rachel whisks me off into the gigantic house.

We walk into the baby's room, and she's smiling in her crib. Brown strands of hair cover her soft head. "Hi Rebecca," I say in a baby tone. She giggles and looks at me with her soft blue eyes and chubby cheeks. Rachel picks her up. Rebecca reaches for my necklace, but Rachel gently scolds her. "It's okay," I say. Rebecca looks at me and giggles once more.

Just then I hear Thomas and Mike walk up the stairs. Thomas opens his mouth in awe as soon as he sees Rebecca. "Why hello there little bugger," he says, bending over to get a full view of her face. Rebecca giggles and places a hand on Thomas's cheek. He laughs and regains composure. "8 months old you said?" Thomas asks, directing his question to Rachel. She smiles and nods.

Rachel's face suddenly lights up, and she places Rebecca back in her crib. "Let me show you guys where you'll be sleeping," she says, walking out of the room. Thomas and I follow her into a master bedroom with fancy curtains and a queen bed. My mouth drops open. "Are you sure this is a guest bedroom?" I ask. She nods. "Best one in the house".

Thomas and I put our things away, just in time for dinner. Rachel has made spaghetti. Yummy. It's silent at first as we all eat, but then Mike speaks up. "So Thomas, where did you work before?" Thomas finishes his bite of spaghetti and answers. "I worked for City Hall". Mike nods, then takes a bite of garlic bread. Rebecca sits just inches away from me, eating baby food in her high chair. I look between Mike and Rachel. "Thank you again," I say out of the blue. "Anything for a friend," Rachel says with a smile. Mike nods with a smile. Thomas sips some of his water. "Yes, thank you," he adds. "I promise, as soon as we get things back in order we'll be out of your hair".

We finish dinner and all dismiss to our rooms. I lay on the bed, wide awake. Thomas wraps his arm around me, and tells me he'll stay awake with me. But then I hear his soft snores. I smile and close my eyes, focusing on the sounds of the outside world. The wind rustling in the trees, the sound of owls nearby. The faint sound of cars speeding down the road. Eventually, with these noises being a lullaby, I fall asleep.