Chapter 11

I watch the rain fall through the window. Thunder roars outside. It's been a couple of days since I noticed Haley in the picture frame. Since then, I've always rechecked to make sure it was really her and that I wasn't just scaring myself. But it's her. I'm sure of it.

Whatever her purpose is of being in the US once again, hopefully it isn't because of me. But I second guess myself. Chills run down my spine. I grab the picture once again and study it. There is no doubt in my mind that she is here because of me.

Anger fills her eyes. She stares at me from the picture. It's so creepy. Thomas and I smile, while you see that one red headed woman in the background staring at the lens with hatred in her eyes.

I've been debating on whether or not I should tell Thomas. But there is no way she can pose as some sort of threat. I can't be afraid of her. Can I? And who knows, she could have left America already. This picture was taken a couple of months ago.

I set the picture back down on the night stand and almost laugh. I get up, then sit back down. Her eyes, though barely noticeable from my distance, shoot daggers into my skin. I turn the picture frame around so it faces the wall.

A knock comes from the other side of my door. "Brooke?" a feminine voice says. Rachel.

"Yeah?" I reply, heading for the door. I open it up and see that she is dressed up. I suddenly remember I had promised her that we'd have a shopping day since the guys were hanging out at the sports bar today.

"Get dressed!" she says. "My mom is coming over any minute now to watch Rebecca."

I nod. "Alright, I'll be out in a minute."

I quickly get dressed and grab my over-the-shoulder hand bag. I walk down stairs, just in time to see the front door open with Rachel's mom standing there, an umbrella held over top of her. She closes the umbrella and walks over to see me, a big smile on her face.

Her skin is full of youth, minus a few wrinkles. She definitely doesn't look her age. "How are you, honey?" her mom says, pulling me into a hug. Her voice sounds fragile.

"I'm alright. It's so nice to see you again," I say.

"Well, mom, we better get going," Rachel says. "The guys won't be out forever."

Her mom nods, then whispers, "She's always been a get up and out kind of girl."

I smile. Rachel doesn't appear to hear her. We wave goodbye and head out the door. To my surprise, the rain has stopped, but the roads are still wet.

"I'll drive," I say as we walk out to the cars. We get in my car. I start the ignition and pull out of the driveway.

"The usual?" I ask as I carefully cruise down the road. Rachel nods. "You know it."

I pull into the giant shopping complex. We get out of the car and make our way to the entrance.

"I remember we all went here to watch that creepy movie," Rachel says. "When in the end it was just Haley and I."

I nod, pulling open the front door of the mall.

"No wonder she enjoyed that movie so much, she is a psycho," I say.

"After everything you've told me about her, there's no doubt in my mind that's what she is," Rachel says. "I knew something wasn't right with her the first time I met her."

I look at her, with a 'really' look on my face. Even I was convinced Haley was somewhat normal when I first met her. And American.

"Okay, I lied. I didn't think she was crazy," Rachel says.

"She all had us fooled," I say, thinking back to the first time we hung out with Haley.

Rachel and I walk upon our favorite store and soon forget about Haley. But the thought of her being here still lurks in the back of my mind.

"I like this one," Rachel says, holding up a peach blouse with a laced neckline. I nod in approval. That is definitely Rachel material.

After we raid a couple of our favorite stores, we decide to get lunch at a Chinese restaurant.

"I will get the kung pao chicken with fried veggies," Rachel says to the waiter, "and an iced tea please."

The waiter quickly scribbles down the order on the notepad, then turns to me. "And for you?"

"I'll have the general tso's chicken with fried rice please, and a water," I say. The waiter writes this down then takes our menus. "Okay, your food will be with you shortly," he says.

A few moments later, the waiter brings us our drinks. I sip the water. I look around the restaurant and spot someone in a chair not far from our table. I almost choke on my water. Haley is here. I see the back of her red head.

"Are you okay?" Rachel asks, putting her hand on my shoulder.

I quickly shake my head no. I almost force myself to get out of my seat and out of the restaurant. Paranoia eats at my insides. Haley turns her head to the side, and I almost scream. But it isn't her. No, the nose is too small to be Haley's. And the eyes aren't filled with hatred like hers. And I see now that the girls' hair isn't quite as red as Haley's.

My heart beat slows down. Rachel touches my shoulder again, and I flinch. "We can leave if you want," she says.

I look at her. Worry fills her eyes. I surprisingly manage to speak, although my throat is hoarse. "I'm okay now."

She settles back into her seat. The waiter brings out our food. I pick up the chicken with my fork, and blow on it to cool it down. I chew, trying to calm myself down. My taste buds are satisfied. For now, it takes my mind off of Haley.

We finish up our food and decide we're ready to head home, Thomas and Mike are probably already home. We clean up our table and exit the restaurant.

When we get home, the guys are waiting for us. They are on the couch, chatting. Rebecca is on the floor, playing with her toys. I walk over and sit next to Thomas. I nestle my head into his shoulder. He wraps his arm around me and kisses my head. Exhausted from the day, my breathing slows and I fall asleep in his arms.