Chapter 2: Before The Hunter Exam

This chapter begins after the preliminary phase, at phase one of the exam.

-

As the doors opened, you looked around to see a huge crowd of people.

'They must all be here for the exam...' you thought. 'There sure are a lot of participants'

"Hello miss!" You looked down to see a.. green guy? That's weird...

"Here's your badge miss, please place it on your clothing." He then handed you a round badge with the number '350' on it.

"Thanks" you said politely while taking the badge.

He smiled and walked off.

After searching for a second you finally found a good place for the badge. 'Maybe I should've worn a jacket..' you thought. 'No it would've been harder to fight in it, this is fine.' You placed the badge on your right shoulder sleeve. 'Good enough, as long as it's visible'

You walked over to the side of the room and leaned against a wall

You looked around. 'There's all kinds of participants here.' You thought. You looked over to see a boy with green hair, a tall man with glasses, and a boy with blond hair walk in. You averted your gaze back to the rest of the crowd.

'Hmm well I hope I don't have to wait long for this to start...I'm already kinda bor-'

Your thought was interrupted by a man who held his hand out to shake yours. He had the badge number '16' on his chest.

"Hey there newbie! The name's Tonpa!" He smiled.

"I don't remember asking for your name" You said to him harshly.

He pulled his hand back. "Oh uh..yeah...well I always welcome the newcomers to this exam hehe!" He smiled. "So what's your name?"

'This guy's getting on my nerves...' you thought. "(Y/n)" you said, only to try to shut him up.

"You don't seem too thrilled to be here (Y/n)..." he said.

"Not really" you replied.

He then reached in his bag and grabbed two cans of orange juice. "Here!" He handed one to you.

You took it, not knowing what else to do with it. "A refreshing drink will cheer you up, let's toast to the exam, may we both do well!" He said cheerfully.

'Fine' you thought. "Okay, why not" you said as you cracked open the can. He opened his and you clinked your cans together. He smiled, though something was off. This guy's weird..

"A nice drink to start the exam!" He said as he held the drink to his lips.

You simply smiled a little, but there's no way you were drinking this stuff. 'He must think I'm stupid'

He lowered his can to see you pouring it onto the floor. "Wha-!" He exclaimed. "What's that for?!"

You emptied the can then crushed it in between your hand. "Next time you want to poison me, don't make it this obvious" you said, and tossed the can towards him.

Tonpa stood dumbfounded and didn't say a word. You slowly walked away from the man. 'Stay away from number 16, easy enough' you thought. You assumed your encounter with bothersome people had ended until you found your face planted into the back of another participant.

'Dammit! That hurt... what the heck..' you thought. You backed away with your hands on your forehead. 'What did I bump into?!'

You look up and read the numbers '301' on a participant's badge.

The tall, pinhead man turned and looked down on you. 'Pins? Or needles rather..?' You thought while eying the man.

'Ah I've been staring way to long, now I look like the weirdo'

You stood up. "Sorry...uh 301, my bad" you said.

You heard a low creak as he cocked his head, eying your waist.

Your eyebrows furrowed. "Excuse me, what is it you're looking at exactly?" you bluntly asked.

He looked up. "Ah sorry" he began, "I was admiring your weapons there" he says pointing to the black scabbard on your waist. "That's quite a lot of blades"

You eased up. "Yeah, exactly twelve of them total." You pulled a couple out.

"Impressive" he stated

"Impressive" he stated. "These look high quality, they're very rare you know" he said, leaning down to admire the blades.

"Yeah I know" you replied. 'Not like I bought them though, my dad gave me these as a gift' you thought.

He stood up straight and placed a hand on his hip. "Gittarackur" he said, holding his hand out. You took it into yours. "(Y/n)" you replied.

He tightened his grip. "You've got a strong grip there, (y/n)."

"Uh thanks..." you said.

He let go. "I'll be sure not to get on your bad side."

"Okay..." you said. 'That's a weird thing to say, how would he know if I'm dangerous?' You thought. 'Whatever'

Soon after that awkward exchange you found yourself staring at a man in a suit who stood in front of the crowd.