Chapter 22: The Assassination of the Ten Dons

You couldn't believe it. You'd actually be forced to see Illumi again.

"Fuck..." you sighed, while shutting your phone off.

This was nerve-wracking. Just seeing Illumi's name made you feel weird. You felt a mixture of annoyance, anger, and... fear.

What would he say when he saw you? What would you say? It had been about 8 months since you've seen him, and yes, you were still upset at what he said. The whole idea of being around him again was unsettling to say the least.

You sighed and brought yourself to your feet. There's no point in letting it get to you like this.

"You're better than this, (y/n)" you said. "It's just another mission. We'll be partners, not friends" you tried to reassure yourself. You hoped it worked.

-

Hisoka was out doing who knows what when he received a call on his cell phone. Reading the name, he happily answered the phone and greeted his friend.

"Hello Illu~" he cheerily said. "Calling me out of the blue? What a pleasant surprise" he chuckled.

"Hisoka... I need to tell you something" Illumi said on the other line. "It's serious"

Hisoka changed his tone. He was a jokester at heart but he knew when to tone it down. "Okay, what is it?"

"I've gotten a new mission... and (y/n) is my partner" Illumi said.

"How interesting~" Hisoka cooed, reverting back to his joking nature.

"This is serious, Hisoka. I'm assuming she's still upset" Illumi admitted.

"Oh she certainly is" Hisoka laughed

Illumi's eyebrows furrowed. "And how would you know that?"

"Well, I've gotten quite close to (y/n) since you've been gone" Hisoka said.

"Hisoka..."

"You'd better apologize quickly Illu before I steal her away~"

"Hisoka, I've warned you before. I will kill you" Illumi threatened.

"Oh I can sense your bloodlust from here~ Like I said, you'd better apologize before I make my move"

"Hisoka!"

Illumi heard the sound of the call ending. Hisoka hung up on him.

He sighed. No matter how he looked at it, Hisoka was right. He knew he should apologize to you, it all came down to whether or not he'd actually do it.
-

You put on your shoes and packed up your bag. The place where you needed to meet Illumi for the mission was close, so you weren't in a hurry.

Just then, your phone buzzed and you glanced over to see a message from your father.

Come back home immediately after you've completed your mission. It's crucial I speak with you in person.

"Seriously? What is it this time?" you asked yourself.

Lulu lifted her head and licked her nose. She was napping (like usual) on your bed.

"He can't seem to leave us alone" you sighed.

You adjusted the scabbard on your belt and ran your fingers over your blades. All 12 were there, meaning you had everything and were ready to leave.

Hisoka suddenly peaked his head through your door to see you packing up.

"Leaving so soon?" he asked.

"Yeah, I've got a mission, won't be back for a while. Dad wants me to come home" you said.