Chapter 5: Phase 2

The large gates opened to reveal a courtyard with a greenish-haired girl and a large man sporting a potbelly sitting on the porch of an estate.

Everyone piled in and crowded around the two. You moved up closer to the front with Hisoka and Gittarackur accompanying you.

The two examiners introduced themselves as Menchi and Buhara. Menchi stood up and announced the second phase of the exam was cooking.

This gained many groans and complaining from the crowd.

"Cooking?" you said aloud. "That's a bit strange for a Hunter's Exam"

"Can't cook (y/n)?" Hisoka looked over and smirked.

"I'm almost positive I'm a better chef than you, Hisoka" you shot back, smiling.

"We'll have to see (y/n)~" he replied.

You scoffed. "Still...cooking? Seems a bit weird to me" you said. "What do you think about it?" you looked to Gittarackur.

"I'm indifferent." Gittarackur said.

"Figures" you replied.

-

Soon enough all participants were out hunting for Great Stamp pigs, the main ingredient for the required pork dish.

Gittarackur, Hisoka, and yourself had eventually caught, cooked, and plated your three pigs.

The dish wasn't all that presentable, but you hoped it would at least let you pass.

After everyone had their dishes ready, Menchi and Buhara began taste testing each one.

Buhara enjoyed each dish, but Menchi couldn't be any more different. "Terrible! Every last one!!" she yelled.

"Picky..." you whispered. Hisoka smirked and Gittarackur chuckled.

"You all fail!!" Menchi announced.

Everyone was shocked and outraged. "We all fail?!" "This is ridiculous!!"

"What?! Is she allowed to do that?" You exclaimed.

Gittarackur placed a hand on your shoulder. "Unfortunately yes, she's an examiner after all" he said.

You frowned. "Mm..it is a bit unfair..." Hisoka added.

However, the outrage didn't last long.

A voice was heard over the speaker of an airship over head, "It seems a bit excessive to fail every single applicant" it said. Soon and older man leaped from the airship and plummeted to the ground causing a huge dust cloud to form.

"Who is that..?" applicants questioned.

"He is the head of the exam committee, the one responsible for the Hunter Exam. Chairman Netero." Menchi said.

"Menchi," he started, "it's come to my attention that you've chosen to fail all of this year's applicants."

"Yes, I'm afraid I made the exam harder than necessary." Menchi stated.

"I see" Netero continued. He explained that in order for the exam to continue Menchi must also participate as an applicant in whatever challenge is chosen.

Menchi agreed. "I have just the thing for the new challenge" she said, "We'll all be making boiled eggs!"

You cocked your head. 'Boiled eggs?' you thought. 'This couldn't get any weirder'