Chapter 18: An Unexpected End

It had been a few hours since you left the arena. With your head on Hisoka's shoulder, you thought about what he had told you earlier.

"I know what Illumi said was hurtful, but he comes from a family that worships that value, that assassins don't need friends. It's not his fault, really"

How could he be so...forgiving? Illumi not only said that he didn't need friends, he implied that friends were a waste of his time. What kind of person would say that? And how could Hisoka be so understanding?

You sighed. This was so much to take in, and honestly, you didn't want to deal with it. Maybe it would have been better to have not met Illumi at all....

"(Y/n)" Hisoka said.

"Hm?"

"Look" He motioned towards one of the referees walking towards the both of you.

You assumed you had been outside for too long and the ref was coming to tell you both to go back into the exam hall. However, he had more to say than just that.

"Hello" he spoke. "First off I would like to congratulate you both on passing the Hunter Exam"

"Wait what?" you said.

"Please come back inside. There will be an orientation for the passing participants shortly"

He began to walk away.

"Woah, wait a minute," you called out to him.

"What is it?"

"We passed? How? I haven't even had my match yet, sir" you said.

"Ah, I see why you're confused. Well, one of the participants killed another. According to the rules, when this happens, the remaining participants pass, and the one that broke the rule fails." he explained.

"Oh, I see" you said.

"Interesting~" Hisoka added. "I wonder, who failed?"

"Number 99, Killua"

You let out a surprised gasp. "K-Killua...failed?"

"Yes. He killed number 191, Bodoro"

'That old man?' you thought.

Hisoka didn't seem surprised at this, almost as if he knew something like this was likely to happen.

"Anyways, please come back into the exam hall soon" the referee repeated.

"We will" Hisoka replied as the ref walked back inside.

"Killua really failed?" you said. It was really unbelievable.

"Sometimes the exam gets to people, (y/n)" Hisoka says.

"Yeah but I never imagined he would do something like this... I know he's an assassin, but for him of all people to miss his chance to receive a hunter's license is... surprising" you said.

"No matter. Just be glad you passed" Hisoka smiled, almost trying to reassure you. It clearly wasn't working.

"Sure, Hisoka" you said, forcing a small smile.

-

After coming back into the building, one of the referees directed you and Hisoka to a large room, similar to a lecture hall.

Every remaining participant, with the exception of Killlua, Gon, and Bodoro were seated in the room. The Chairman and the examiners were also present.

You and Hisoka took a seat towards the back. You insisted on sitting near the door rather than upfront where Illumi was seated. Yes, you were avoiding him.