Chapter 14: Assassin Meets Assassin

Your mind wandered while you slept. Memories of when you were a child rushed into your head. Killing innocent victims, slaughtering people who had families to return to, every bit of being a ruthless assassin clouded your mind. Even the memory of the kid you had met as a child entered your brain. Why couldn't you stop thinking about him?

To think you ran away from home to the Hunter Exam to forget all of these dreadful memories, only to remember them every time you closed your eyes. Your backstory was truly tragic. Forced to take lives against your will. A child raised for one purpose. Who could possibly understand?

'I should get up...'

You forced yourself to open your eyes. The harsh rays of the sun burned your face and temporarily reduced your sight. It was still day time, meaning you still had some daylight left to try and find someone, anyone, whose badge you could take.

Finally you stood up and stretched. It was yet again quiet here on the island. You noticed that Hisoka was gone. "I guess he ran off somewhere while I was sleeping" you said. Then you came to a frustrating realization. "Did that bastard really leave me while I was asleep?! I could've been ambushed without someone keeping watch!" You quickly checked to see if you still had your badge. Yep, still in your pocket. Thankfully no one had taken it while you slept.

You sighed. "Whatever. I should look for some people" you said. 'And hopefully I'll find the guy with badge 198, that would be so helpful right now...'

-

After running through the forest for about an hour you finally spotted another applicant. It was the white haired kid you remembered seeing earlier in the exams, number 99.
It looked like he was holding a skateboard, and for that matter, still displaying his badge on the left side of his shirt.

You quickly leapt into a tree to observe. 'Kid's got guts to keep his badge out in the open you thought. 'Actually, I wonder if I could take that from him... one point isn't a lot but it's still progress'

After a few seconds you decided that you would drop down and attempt to steal his badge. He didn't look like that much of a tough opponent, but anyone willing to leave their badge out in the open was clearly confident in their skills. Plus, you had learned to never underestimate an enemy based off of looks. Even if that enemy was an adorable 12 year old kid.

-

You decided to ambush him from above. You'd leap out of a tree, grab his badge as you landed, and quickly run away using the forest as cover. It was a decent enough plan, you just needed to find the perfect tree to jump from.

You continued to follow the kid for a minute or two, leaping from tree to tree. However, his presence wasn't the only one you sensed. There was one other lurking in the bushes close to you. It seemed like they were also following number 99. However, they weren't your top priority (and didn't strike you as a particularly strong opponent), so you ignored them.

Finally, you spotted the perfect spot in a tree to jump out of. 'Great,' you said as you positioned yourself in the tree, 'I'll ambush him from here'

You quietly watched as number 99 walked right below the tree you were sitting in. Then you swiftly leapt out. You fell to the ground and, going according to your plan, snatched his badge off his shirt and prepared to escape.

You didn't make it even a few inches before a sharpened nail was slowly piercing your skin. The boy had a single hand to your neck, while the other was holding your shoulder.

You held your breath. How was he able to catch you so quickly? You gripped his badge tightly, there was no way in hell you were going to let him steal it back.