Chapter 4: Separated

A thick fog engulfed the area. It minimized sight and created an eerie atmosphere.

-

Your celebration of making it through the long tunnel was cut short by the group of participants (those who actually made it this far) mumbling among themselves about 'Swindler's Swamp'.

You had a puzzled look on your face. "Gittarackur, what are they talking about?" you asked.

"Swindler's Swamp, the creatures in this area will try to deceive their prey. Satotz says we should stay close behind him." Gittarackur responded.

Suddenly a man peeked around the corner. "Don't fall for it! Don't let them fool you! That man's lying, I'm the real examiner!"

Everyone looked around confused. "What's going on?!" "Who's the real one then??"

You stayed where you were, refusing to follow anyone at this time.

"I'll prove it!" The man said, as he pulled over a body with a face like Satotz's. "This is a man faced ape, it's disguised itself to trick us into following it! He wants to deceive us all and feast on every one of you!!" He shouted while pointing at Satotz.

'What's this guy going on about??' You thought. You looked over at Gittarackur, he didn't seemed phased at all by this situation.

In an instant six playing cards were thrown towards the man and Satotz. Satotz caught the three thrown at him perfectly while the others impaled the man causing him to fall over.

Hisoka stood shuffling his card deck. "I see. So that settles it" he laughed. "You're the real one"

Everyone looked over at Satotz. "Examiners are Hunters," Hisoka began to explain, "Of course only the real examiner would be able to stop my attack."

"I will take that as a compliment, thank you" Satotz started, "though, if you attack me without reason again I will report you for attacking an examiner and have you disqualified."

"Of course" Hisoka replied.

You looked over at him and he smiled. 'Pretty impressive to attack an Examiner like that' you thought.

-

Satotz explained such deceptions were expected here. He told you all to follow him closely if you ever wished to reach the second part of the exam.

Soon the three of you, Hisoka, Gittarackur, and yourself, began to follow the others through the fog.

-

Besides the footsteps of the other applicants the travel was quiet. Though you noticed a few of the others getting lost, the group greatly lowered in numbers.

You made sure to stay close to Gittarackur and Hisoka. The last thing you said wanted was to be alone in all this fog. Anyone could easily get lost, and you were sure there were creatures out there that you might have to fight.

Though something was off... you looked to your right to see Gittarackur running beside you, but Hisoka was no where to be seen.

Noticing this you decided to inform Gittarackur. "Gittarackur" you started.

"Yes, (y/n)?"

"I think Hisoka got lost"

He looked around. "It appears he did"

"Should we go find him?"

"No, he'll be fine, (y/n). I have a device to communicate with him if we need to" he said.

"Oh, okay then" you said. 'Sure hope he makes it to the second phase' you thought. 'Satotz was not kidding when he said the only was there was to follow him. Though, Gitta seems so unphased by this? He must have known Hisoka long enough to not be surprised that he's off somewhere else.'

-

You continued running with Gittarackur and the others. 'Gross, this humidity is really messing up my hair' you thought, ruffling your (h/l) hair. 'Appearance doesn't matter all that much, but this is seriously a pain'

Gittarackur noticed and looked over at you. "Don't tell me you're worried about your hair now" he cocked his head.

"I wouldn't say worried, just a little annoyed about it" you responded.

"Hm" he said while turning back. You heard the creaking again, you'd never get used to that.

"Say, Gitta, what's with the pins?" You asked, bluntly.

"That's a bit rude to ask don't you think?" He replied.

"Sorry, just been on my mind. I was only wondering"

"Well I admire your boldness, (y/n). You will know soon enough." He said, smiling.

You looked at him confused. 'What's that supposed to mean?' you thought.

You figured it was time you asked. After all, those pins did seem familiar to you, you just couldn't place your finger on it. Plus, he seems so indifferent, you didn't think he'd get offended by such a question.

'Oh well, if I have to wait to know I guess I will' you thought.

Eventually the fog cleared and Satotz and the group reached a gate, the end of the first phase.

You all stayed here awaiting the arrival of any other participants who were coming in late.

'I wonder where Hisoka is...'

You look over to see Gittarackur talking into his device. "Hisoka, you should get back here. We're at the phase two sight"

You walk close to him to hear the reply. "Okay, I'll be right there" Hisoka says through the device.

"Where do you think he went off to?" You asked.

"No idea, though I imagine he got into a fight of some sort" Gittarackur replies.

"He seems like the kind of person who would somehow" you sigh.

Eventually Hisoka and a few other participants (being the blond boy, the green haired boy, and the man with glasses) finally showed up concluding phase one of the exam.

The gates then opened and phase two soon began.