XIV

"Surprise!" My family said in unison. I looked at them wide-eyed,

"Woah. how'd you guys get here??" I shouted with the widest grin on my face, I went over to my mom and cousins and pulled them in a group hug. The duffle bag is still in my grasp.

"Your sweet girlfriend. She planned this surprise birthday party," my mom said with the happiest grin, she looked so happy. It took me me a few moments to register her words...girlfriend? Rachel is here?

"What- where is she?" I said looking around the decorated living room as I released them from my hug. But I don't see her. I noticed the 'Happy Birthday!' streamers hanging from the high ceiling. how'd they got steamers on the ceiling? My mom shrugged her shoulder,

"Last time I'd seen her she was going to the restroom but that was a while ago."

"No aunt Joy, she's in the kitchen." Brian, my closest cousin interjected.

"Ohh okay." I swung the duffle bag over my shoulders and walked to the kitchen.

"What's in the bag, Zack?" I heard Brian ask, I froze.

"Stuff," I said flatly so they don't ask any questions. My family has no idea what I do for a living, they think I make six figures from being an accountant. Well, that's sort of true, minus the killing people part.

"So what? Is it like a bondage kit?" he blurted out, I let out a shriek, my face going red.

"No! That's not what it is!" I shouted as my cousins laughed, including my mom.

"What is it then?" Robert asked, his eyes narrowing, I grinned and began to unzip my bag. He leaned over to look inside, and cover his mouth when he saw the stacks of 100 dollar bills.

"Woah, man! Where'd you get that?!"

"I do a side job. I contract with wealthy people and they give me money." I explained. My mom gave me a look of skepticism, my aunt nodded understanding.

"Wow. Okay. Where do I sign up?" he beamed. I shook my head,

"It's not that easy man," I stressed, I know Rob he can't hurt a fly and I'm sure killing people isn't in his morals.

"Please? I want to know." He begged. I signed and nodded.

"Sure but not right now," I said before walking to the kitchen.

I entered the kitchen and stood in the doorway, looking at the love of my life. Her back was facing me as she decorated the sheet cake, I just stood there watching her.

"Hey." she jumped at the sound of my voice and turned around. With a smile on her face,

"Oh my god! Hey, happy birthday!" she exclaimed, pulling me in a tight hug, cutting off my airway.

"I thought- you forgot." I chucked out.

"Never." she muttered losing her grip, I wrapped my arms around her after I regained my breath. She looked and acted differently, she looked really good.

"So. what have you been up to?" I pulled away from the hug and sat the duffle bag on the counter. I watched as she gathered the scraps of paper in her hand.

"Nothing much. I've been trying to go to a therapist, to let go of some shit I have bottled up," she explained as she wiped off the counter, not glancing at me once.

"What about you? How have you been?" I noted how she changed the subject but I didn't say anything. I instantly thought back to when Tyler had called me after I dropped her off at the subway station. Giving me a threat that he never went through with. I laughed nervously,