XVII

10 years ago

Henry's POV

It's 3 am and I'm studying for a trigonometry test that is at 11 am later today. My professor is an asshole, giving me hell to help me understand this shit. I glanced at the clock for the third time in 10 minutes and slammed my textbook shut,

"Fuck you, Mr. Wes," I grumbled, rubbing my tired face, feeling my eyes burn from staring at the book with the low light of the lamp. I threw my book and study guides under my bed and reached for my laptop, looking up easy ways to make money, so I can fix my car.

I'm working at the local Walmart right now, but it wasn't enough to cover my bills or books. I could barely afford food, only living off of gas station hot dogs and energy drinks. So every day was a struggle and asking my parents for money was not an option. They were already paying for my college classes, and I didn't want to ask them for any more money knowing my father is going to have a fit.

I came across a few articles that claimed you can earn money by completing a 'survey' yeah. I don't sell my information to some scammers, looking deeper I'm being hit with stock and investing in businesses, but I need money and fast. I switched my window to private mode and began looking up if someone wanted to hire someone to do their dirty work. I'm willing to steal or pick up some drugs if they'd pay me to do it. I just need a few hundred dollars.

A cheesy article name caught my eye, 'Being a hitman is better than the police!' I clicked on the article and began reading it out of amusement.

'Money is what we're all driven by. But this company focuses on justice in underground new york city and getting money. We hire people who are willing to hunt down and kill the dangerous people lurking around new york city. Rapists, murders, child predators, human traffickers, drug dealers. Anybody who caused harm to other people will kill. I need people who are up to the challenge to kill for the right reasons. If you fill out your information below you will be sent directions in your email, (make sure to check your spam folder) you will receive further instructions in the email.'

With no hesitations, I filled out the information at the bottom of the article. To me it seemed like a scam but what's the worst that could happen? If someone threatens to kill me then I can just call the police. Maybe? Or just pack my shit and disappear. After submitting the stuff out I closed my computer and switched off the small desk lamb, finally getting ready for bed.

***

The trig. The test was as hard as I thought it was going to be, and I hope I can pass this semester because I can't retake it. It's now 1 pm and I'm just now leaving campus, walking to the nearest bus stop. Trigonometry was the last class of the day so I was free the rest of the week.

I sat on the bus stop bench and wasted time waiting for the campus bus to pick me up, sitting on the bench. I finally got to take a look through my emails and an email with a single word in the subject line.

'INSTRUCTIONS'

I couldn't read further because the bus was coming to my stop. I got on the bus and dropped the needed money in the lock-box and found a seat.

I got off the bus when they stopped by my street to pick up a group of people, and walked to the gas station I frequented at least 3 times a week. I walked into the gas station the door making a low 'ding' noise,

"Hey, Zack. How was your test?" The cashier named 'Mary' asked from behind the counter. She's a beautiful blonde with little brown spreading from her nose across her face. I've been having this crush on her almost my whole freshman year, but I've been too nervous to ask her out. And having no money to take her out is bumming me out too.