XVIII

Present Day

The first thing I remembered as I regained consciousness was the bomb attached to my chest, still very present, crashing my broken ribs. My wrist stinging from the rope burns, keeping me held to the chair. I felt the walls starting to close in on me, eyes bulge from my head from the pressure of my headache.

"Fuck." I sobbed, taking shaky breaths, feeling useless. I'm going to die, so is Charlotte. I couldn't see the time on the clock that was on my chest, so I don't know how long I've been knocked out. I looked at the floor and took a shallow breath thinking about what to do next.

Suddenly the door opened and Charlotte appeared in front of me,

"Baby, what are you doing here?" I whispered out hearing my voice echo off the walls, she walked closer to me with a disappointed look on her face.

"Look at you. Only 35 minutes to live with no one coming to help you."

"What- No! Don't look for Jason, he's going to kill you." I rushed out, fear crawling up my spine. I didn't want her to die, not again.

"No he's going to kill you," she said pointing at me.

"What?" I was confused. "How do you know that?"

"That bitch Carol told you. She said you're going to die here and honesty? I don't care. The moment you die, I will be freed from you and Jason." she spat with venom, her face twisting into anger. I looked at her confused, my ache becoming more prominent as her words sank in.

"I thought you loved me?"

"You know that thing that people say that they don't mean? I lied. Do you think I actually wanted to settle down with you? Clearly, it didn't take long to gain your trust considering you're going to blow up in this building along with this psycho." she said with a careless shrug, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Did she really hate me this whole time? I was speechless, I couldn't say anything.

"I wouldn't shed a tear at your funeral. You don't deserve my pity," she said with an evil smirk. I hung my head, tears stinging at my eyes threatening to fall.

"You're so boring I get why Mary set herself on fire." she spat. I froze, bile rising up my throat. I looked up at her now angry.

"How do you know about Mary?" I demanded. I've never told her how Mary died. She stepped closer to me and leaned down to my level,

"It's all in there," she said pointing her finger at my bloody hair, pressing to knock my head to the side.

"You found her home burnt down with a bullet in her skull. Messed you up pretty bad huh?" she whispered mockingly, simultaneously images of Mary's burnt body flashing through my head.

"You wondered why she killed herself only after dating her for 9 months. Her parents even blamed you for her death,"

"That wasn't. My fault." I gritted out. Taking deep breaths to calm my nerves. Her talking about this was hitting a nerve and I didn't like it.

"You sure? The officers didn't think so." she hissed, I stayed silent feeling blood rush through my ears. The tears finally fell, and I let out a pained sob.

"Stop. please stop.... I'm sorry!" I cried out. The feeling of dread starting to settle in, I felt as sad as I did when I found out Mary had died. Like it was yesterday. The tears falling down my face stung the wounds on my cheeks.

*********

Charlotte's Pov

It wasn't long before I knew they took Henry, I knew it was weird when he didn't come to bed last night but I didn't think anything of it until he wasn't back this morning. That's when I knew he was in trouble, with the help of Jonathan I got his location from his phone. It was an old car factory out in the middle of the abandoned part of the city, after that I had called Ray to let him know that I was going to save Henry. He told me it was a bad idea, but I didn't care. I told him that I will call him later and hung up.