XV

After a few hours of celebrating my birthday, everyone moved outside to the back yard opening several bottles of beers, but I wasn't out there celebrating with my family as I should. Instead, I finally got the opportunity to talk to Charlotte alone, I stepped into the bathroom behind Charlotte shutting the door behind me.

"So are you going to tell me what happened there a few hours ago?" I asked leaning on the sink looking at her face to see if she would finally tell me.

"Your friend who tried to give you a gift. Well, she also tried to kill you," she stated simply, I looked at her with my head tilted.

"Okay I get that part but how did you know?"

"I had a few people here in New York to keep an eye out of Tyler and his crew. Carol is one of them helping him out, so I knew if you made a 'friend' it was most likely her. She had something in the bag to kill you, I didn't know her name. I just knew what she looked like based on pictures that were emailed to me."

"Well, a warning about it would have been nice," I said rolling my eyes, still irritated at the fact she decided not to tell me until now.

"I know I'm sorry. I just didn't want to bother you about my problems. I didn't want you to worry about it because my suspicions about her weren't confirmed until she showed up." she muttered looking at the floor.

"Hey," I said softly, making sure she was looking at me, "My problems are your problems, we're in this together," I reassured her, she nodded.

"Okay. Good." I smiled and kissed her on the cheek, backing up so she could move to use the toilet.

I turned away from Charlotte as she used the bathroom, I didn't want to be a weirdo watching her pee. That was too awkward, for me at least.

"You know you could have waited outside the bathroom door." She said shortly after she flushed the toilet,

"I know. But I miss you so I'm going to follow you around some being in the bathroom with you ensures that you won't get hurt." She nudged me so she could get to the sink, I stepped over and was met with an annoyed look.

"Sounds a little too familiar honey." she spat with no sweetness in her voice. I sighed and muttered a 'Sorry'. She gave me a small smile and stood on her toes to kiss me on the lips, I grinned leaning down to chase her lips again instead she turned her head. I paused.

"Later," she promised with a wink.

"Oh really?" I muttered suggestively opening the door to leave the bathroom. I only got a grin as she walked past me and into the hallway. I stepped right after her flowing her to the backyard patio.

"Hey Z! Took you long enough," Brain exclaimed with a knowing smirk. "Come here, aunt Joy wants to talk to you. She's on the other side of the pool," he explained I looked over to where he was pointing. My mom is sitting under the umbrella table in the very back of my yard. I glanced at Brian then at Rachel, she just gave me an innocent shrug.

"Do you know what she wants to talk about?'' I asked only for a shrug from Brian.

"Okay. Fine then. Thanks for your help." I muttered sarcastically before walking over to the table my mom was sitting at.

"Hey, mom. Thank You for the surprise birthday party. I thought I was too old to for parties mom." her face spilled into a wide grin,

"Of course not! You're probably the only one I would still do parties for, you're the only one close to us. Your brother and sister are in California, I invited them but they didn't want to come saying New York was too far, and they were busy taking care of their children." Annoyance nabbed at me, I loved my siblings but they always treated me like I was an outcast.