II

Tears filled my eyes when I heard her voice. This has to be a joke,

"If this is a prank call. I will end you." I spat angrily. Who the fuck was acting like her?

"No! This isn't a prank. Zack, I'm alive please let me explain." She pleaded. I paused and took a deep breath,

"You're supposed to be dead..." I muttered in disbelief. I placed my mug on the counter and leaned over the sink.

"I know. And I'm sorry."

"How do I know it's really you? Tell me something I would only tell her." I countered. She sighed,

"You lost your virginity to the Papa Johns worker when you were 16 and she was 20. And the tattoo that's on your bicep is a stick figure holding a weight. You said it reminded you of your older brother." She said.

"Everyone knows that. Tell me something else about me." I said challenging her. I was still hoping it was her.

"You keep a picture of me in your wallet and you look at it when I'm not there. Which in my opinion is a little crazy." she joked. I smiled,

"Oh my god. You're you! But how are they alive? You died in my arms." I asked in disbelief.

"I was dead but I was brought back to life 30 minutes after my heart stopped. And after 3 weeks in the hospital I had to go undercover to hide from Tyler for a whole year-" she explained then she paused.

"I have to go- don't call this number back. I want to meet you later on today. Okay- I'll call you later bye." she said in short clips before hanging up. I was confused and a little excited to see her, but I was afraid that she would be different. I mean I haven't seen her in a year. What if she doesn't like me anymore?

---

I arrived at the familiar gravesite and looked at the headstone in confusion.

'Rachel Lynn Jones. Beloved sister, protector and lover'

Her headstone read. I felt stupid for coming here almost every night. I would come here drunk and extremely sad but now I feel like I was being stupid. I'm glad she's alive but now I'm feeling embarrassed. But there's nothing I can do about it.

I wonder who's in the casket. Because I didn't go to her wake, I attended her burial but not the viewing of her body. I was feeling too guilty to see her.

I hope she calls me back. Because I wanted to see her, I glanced at my watch. It was almost noon and I had to get to practice. I stood up from the ground and walked back to my car.

***

"C'mon Miller! We don't have all day!" My coach yelled as I made my way across the track doing hurdles in between. The hot blazing sun baking my skin over the past few weeks of training I developed tan lines, but luckily it's edging towards the fall season so it was beginning to cool down outside.

Towards the end of my 8th lap, I felt a cramped form in my calf. Once I finished the last hurdle I collapsed on the track and held my calf, Steven walked over and placed a hand on my shoulder.

"Hey what's wrong Miller?" he asked as he helped me in a sitting position.

"Steven I'm not feeling it today. Last night I had too much to drink and I'm running off fumes right now. I didn't get much sleep. I explained with a shaky sigh as the pain in my calf intensified, I almost shed a tear as the muscle was tensing.

"C'mon get up so you can walk out that cramp," he said, lifting me up by my armpit. I slowly stood up and began walking back into the gym, leaning on him for support. He held the door open to the locker room for me to walk in,

"I don't know why you are making me do hurdles. Is it really necessary?" I asked. Steven nodded,

"Yes. if you want to be flexible so you don't die on the mat," he explained as I massaged the sore muscle in my calf.

"Mm, I think you want to see me suffer." I scoffed with sarcasm. Steven handed me my water bottle and patted my shoulder.

"No, I don't."He sighed and looked at me with concern.

" You need to stop drinking and get back on the right path. I know what it feels like to lose someone close." He emphasized. I looked at him confused,

"What- I never told you about her..." I commented,

"I know when somebody is hurting and you are. I hope you get your life on track Miller. Okay, I have to go home and get a few things ready for tomorrow." He uttered as he grabbed his gym bag. He began to walk to the exit then he stopped and turned around.

"Hey, great practice today. Your next fight is tomorrow night so be ready." He said with encouragement before leaving the locker room. I held my freshly sewn wound and sighed. This shit hurts, I grabbed my towel and headed to the showers.

---

I left the gym and made my way to the bank so I can pay my light and gas bill because I do not want bad credit. After the trip, I headed home,

"Hey, Jonathan. I paid the bills so you don't have to worry about it." I said as I entered the kitchen from the garage door, I placed my gym bag on the floor and glanced over Jonathan's shoulder as he was making something,

"What are you making?"

"Lunch. A turkey sandwich with cheese. Now get out my face," He muttered, giving me an elbow to the gut with a chuckle, I clenched my stomach.

"Not funny." I wheezed out holding my stomach.

"Don't be a big baby." He taunted.

"Fine, I'll leave you alone," I uttered as I walked to the couch. Johnathan never liked to be bothered when cooking. Especially after Charlotte's death, I think he was more affected than me. But he never mentioned it to me but I can tell with his behavior,

I took off my shoes and stretched on the couch. Then my phone rang, I dug in my pocket and looked at the California number. I assumed it was her so I answered.

End of chapter 2...