𝗯𝗲𝗰𝗮𝘂𝘀𝗲 𝗵𝗲 𝗶𝘀𝗻𝘁 𝘆𝗼𝘂

zia

I walked back to my Aunt Macy's house. I was exhausted after today. Turns out, lying to cops, getting shot at, and stealing compasses is pretty draining.

I lied on my bed playing on my phone, when I heard a knock at the door.

"Zia! Can you get that please!" I heard Macy yell from down the hall.

"Got it!" I rolled out of my bed and started towards the door.

I opened it only to be greeted by a familiar blonde head of hair.

JJ stood in front of the door, hands in his pockets, shoulders slouched, and looking down.

"JJ? What are you doing here?"

He looks up from the ground, only to reveal a busted lip.

"Oh." I quietly say, the reason dawning on me.

I really hated JJ's dad. I had no room for sympathy for a person who hurts their kids, physically or emotionally. And his dad did both.

"Um.. can I uh..." He stammers, lifting his hand up to signify the house.

"Oh yeah, yeah. Of course." I step out of the way of the door so he can walk in.

He walks past me and into the house, he immediately kneels down onto the ground, greeting our dog, Jasper the Beagle.

"Hi, buddy!" He says in a cute voice as he scratches behind the dogs ears. Jasper thanks him with licks and kisses.

I let out a soft chuckle as the scene warmed my heart.

"I'm gonna tell Macy you're here, I'll be right back." I say as I walk past him and Jasper, and down the hall.

"Yeah. Uh, thanks. You know, for letting me stay." JJ shrugs.

I turn around and place my hand on the trim of the hallway.

"I'd rather have you here then there." I smile and give him a sympathetic look.

He looked away and continued to scratch Jaspers ears.

I continue walking down the hall. I come to Macy's work room.

Macy's a tailor, and a very good one at that. She makes all sorts of clothes, in fact, almost all of my wardrobe is her creation. When she's bored, she'll make me some clothes. It's usually just a beanie or a bathing suit or something simple, but I do have a favorite.

A couple of months ago, she made me this grey beanie with "POGUE" written in cursive black lettering. She also made one for Kie, but it was black with grey lettering.

We wear them all of the time.

"Knock, knock." I say as I lightly knock on the doorway.

Macy looks up from her sewing machine.

"Who was at the door?" She asks.

"JJ. He's crashing here for tonight. You know, his dad." I shrug.

A sad look falls onto Macy's lightly freckled face.

She nods slowly.

"That's fine." She goes back to working on this beautiful dress, other than the color, which was a disgusting hot pink.

"Who's that for?" I ask, walking further into the room to get a better look at the dress.

"Rose Cameron. She's going to wear it to Midsummers." Macy says as she adjusts the fabric under the needle.