𝘁𝗿𝘆 𝗶𝗻𝗳𝗶𝗻𝗶𝘁𝘆, 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗻 𝗺𝗮𝘆𝗯𝗲 𝗶𝗹𝗹 𝗰𝗼𝗻𝘀𝗶𝗱𝗲𝗿 𝗶𝘁

jj

I have no idea how we ended up in John B's chicken coop, but it was probably safer then the house.

Kie was stashed in the corner, John B across from me, Pope leaning against the other side, and Z right next to me. My arm was wrapped around her, while my other arm was holding her hand.

She was scared out of her mind. She didn't show it, but she was. I could tell. She always had this look in her eye when she was scared, this little thing in the back of her eye.

A couple of tears ran down her face, but she attempted to put on a brave front.

The rooster, however, wouldn't shut up. He would blow our cover.

"Do something, Pope! Shut him up!" I whisper harshly to Pope.

"What do you want me to do?" He whispers back.

"Pet it, or talk to it. I don't know." Kie says with a shaky voice, tears rushing down her face.

The rooster still doesn't stop fucking clucking.

"You do something." Pope practically shoves the chicken in my direction.

Suddenly, I see one of the men walking towards the coop slowly, hand on his holster.

There was only one thing I could've done, and as much as I didn't want to do it, I had too.

"Z, look away." I said to her as I let go of her hands and went to grab the rooster.

She turned her head the opposite direction and shut her eyes tightly.

I struggled to grab the rooster, but eventually got a good hold of it. I quickly snapped his neck in an attempt to make his death quick and painless.

I began panting, not believing what I had just done.

I heard Kie sob.

My hands were still wrapped around the roosters neck, I was in shock, I couldn't move.

Thankfully, Z leaned forward and removed the rooster from my hands, leaning back into my chest.

I wrapped my arms around her again as we leaned back on the wall.

"Ratter! What the hell are you doin? Let's go!" We hear the other man shout.

The man who was once walking towards the chicken coop, then began to turn around and walk back towards their truck. The engine turned on and they quickly drove away, each of us letting out a breath we didn't know we were holding.

I felt Z relax into my arms. Her once tensed up body turned into almost a noodle. She was definitely tired.

•••

"I mean, it's obvious, right?" John B asks us as he drives the Twinkie to the Redfield Lighthouse.

"A family heirloom. What better place to hide a message?" He asks us with enthusiasm in his voice.

"It's possible." Kie adds to John Bs crazy theories.

"It could also be possible that you're concocting wild theories to help, you know, deal with your sad feels." Pope says sympathetically.

"Pope." John B attempts to stop him.

"You know how I process my sad feels. Dank nugs and the stickiest of ickies, that's how I do it." I tell the group.

"How are you so mentally okay?" Z jokingly asks.

I shrug my shoulders and grin.

"I'm not concocting, okay?" John B announces.