𝗶𝘁𝘀 𝗷𝘂𝘀𝘁 𝘄𝗲𝗶𝗿𝗱

zia

We are way too hungover to handle any kind of learning. At least JJ and I are. Kie and Pope seem perfectly fine.

JJ and I woke up when the sun finally rose over the oceans horizon, shining onto our cold to the touch skin. I checked my phone, seeing it was 6:15, when school started at 7:30. We rushed to the truck, only grabbing our permanent belongings, leaving the beer bottles and trash, promising we'd come back after school to clean it.

I haven't said anything about JJ's question from last night, and I don't plan to. I have been a bit more on edge, though. Tensing up when around him, picking at my nails, etc.

The beach was closest to the Château. Thank God I've forgotten clothes there. I had a whole plan of my first day of school outfit. It was the only thing I was looking forward to for that day, and I couldn't even wear it. I knew we should've gone home last night. I had to settle with an oversized "THE WRECK" t-shirt, and shorts. The morning was cold, but it was supposed to get warmer throughout the day, so it should be fine.

JJ just wore his clothes from last night, only changing out of his white t-shirt and into a navy blue one that he had to look under the couch for. Instead of smelling like weed and Old-Spice like usual, he smelt like potato chips and dust. It was almost unbearble to sit next to him in the car.

Kie picked us up so that we could all go together. We knew what was awaiting us. We'd been preparing for the stares and whispers for weeks. There was no way each of us could go in alone.

The drive over was dreadful. The cars cherry scented air freshener and the left over potato scent from JJ's clothes was not a good match. That and JJ's constant beer burps. He had woken up and grabbed his flask from the back seat of the truck before we left. He's gonna be trashed by third period. I wish I could be too, but Macy would kill me if she found out I was drunk at school.

Before we park, JJ takes another swig from his flask.

"Hey, chill out." I tell him.

"If I black out before second period, just don''t remind me." JJ jokes, but we all know he's gonna be buzzed really soon. I roll my eyes.

Kiara pulls into an empty parking space, muffled shouts and laughter of the other students can be heard through the metal car doors.

The school looks exactly the same. The tall towers connected by the shorter walls made of bricks, the rusty metal railing leading up the stairs to the front oak door. What seems like a billion happy kids surrounding it.

Kie takes out the keys, the car shutting off, leaving us in silence, other than the noise from the outside.

"You guys ready?" She looks around at all of us worriedly. We all glance at each other. None of us are ready.

"No." Pope briefly says.

"Not at all." I add.

"We never will be." JJ says.

Again, more silence.

"Alright, well. Who needs those other kids anyways? We got each other, right? That's good enough for me." Kie says, grabbing her backpack from behind her seat, reaching over my legs as she does so.

"Come on." She opens the car door, and gets out.

I let out a sigh, and do the same. Pope and JJ eventually follow. The two come around the car and we all group together, slowly walking towards the school.

We didn't have to look around to know people were staring, we could feel it. And we don't need to have super-human hearing to know they were whispering.