Retirony

After saying goodbye to AM-2432, UA-3846 examined his map of the kidney, attempting to determine which was his current location and respect the address he needed to deliver the oxygen to.

Looking at the map and then watching to his left, then returning to watch the map and once more watching to his left... in a cycle that got repeated at least five times. UA-3846 sighed with a smile as he was sure that there were at least ten neighborhoods worth of buildings that separated him from reaching his goal. Normal red blood cells would have been forced to take a detour following the road he was standing on, then taking a vein to the left and continue like that for a while before even reaching the correct neighborhood.

UA-3846 shrugged and shook his head.

"Sucks to be them."

UA-3846 grabbed the box over his head and he quickly entered into the narrow gaps between buildings that were in front of him.

The only semi-complicated thing to do regarding the whole process was to make sure the box would advance too since it kinda got stuck a few times but UA-3846's strength was enough to push the thing. Other than that, it was as if UA-3846's body was partially liquid as he traversed the narrow space as if it was nothing.

He was surprised to see some doors of apartments in these gaps... those cells living inside must have it hard when wanting to go outside for any reason.

Interestingly, when he was crossing the tenth gap, he discovered the direction of the box was one of these "hard" to reach doors.

As the doorbell produced its classical sound, it didn't take too much before a cell opened the door.

Fortunately, the designer of the house wasn't stupid since the door opened in the direction of inside the residence.

"Good morning, oxygen delivery for NPL-38700." UA-3846 extended his arms to present the box. He also smiled slightly.

The cell's smile was bigger. "Thank you so mu..." suddenly, his facial expression changed into confusion as he paid more attention to the facial features of the cell that brought his stuff that day. "Eh... I had never seen a white-haired erythrocyte..."

UA-3846 narrowed his eyes as his smile disappeared as well. "I'm a type of cell that is both neutrophil and erythrocyte at the same time."

"Oh... wow... that is..." the cell's face suddenly was filled with excitement. "Amazing!" the cell nodded slightly multiple times.

...

...

...

"... You think so?"

"Yeah!" the cell commented. "I mean, more fascinating than my monotone life here surely it is." the cell then rubbed his chin. "So, that means that besides delivering stuff you also fight antigens?"

UA-3846's slight smile returned as he nodded. "Before coming I had to wash my uniform, I terminated four Pneumo bastards."

"I kinda wish I could do that too." the normal cell fantasized for a moment regarding doing something more than cloning and watching TV. "Oh! I'm delaying you, aren't I?" then the cell grabbed the box and went further inside his house before coming back with another box that contained CO2. "Now I just have to sign."

"Correct." UA-3846 nodded and gave the cell a thumbs-up.

He wouldn't mind bringing Oxygen to this particular cell more times in the future.

UA-3846 raised his cap as he spoke. "Have a nice day!"

"You too. Nice to meet you... oh!" the cell realized something. "I didn't ask for your name."