A Day Of Change

"AJ-4523, please step forward."

"Yes!"

It was the big day.

This was one of the moments UA-3846 had been waiting for the most for a long time.
Today, for most erythroblasts, it was the day that they would officially become erythrocytes. They will begin their job, transporting oxygen and nutrients.

For him, things would be a little different.

"AM-2432! Please step forward."

"It's my turn! I'll be right back!" his red blood cell friend, smiling at him, separated from him momentarily. UA-3846 just gave her a thumbs up.

Today was be the day when he was going to become a Neutrocyte... it was the day when he would not only begin to transport things but also commence to hunt whatever bacteria or virus appeared to threaten the body.

His training was almost entirely complete after all, the only thing he still needed was his first real combat experience.
He could see his parents watching the scene, they weren't very far but still outside the room.

U-1146 still mostly maintained that serious expression that he always possessed, but a proud smile was clearly visible.
AE-3803, on the other hand, had her arms covering her mouth, UA-3846 thought that she was probably trying to wipe away the tears which were coming out from her "crystalline" eyes. Both maternal pride and nostalgia were the emotions that the already quite adult erythrocyte felt at that moment.

Regarding how well he had graduated, his average score was not exactly the best, but an 85 was quite acceptable as far as he knew. He only had to polish some little details once he had gotten more experience delivering through the body.

"MN-1972, please step forward."

Regarding his knife skills, UA-3846 had a preference for the stance that focused on speed. True, precise slashes surely had their deadly power, but having to focus on so much to attack was partially stressful for him.

His friend finally came back "I feel so happy!" She then hugged him tightly.

He had grown a lot since the day he met her. The first time they discovered the existence of each other, they could both look directly into each other's eyes without any problems.

He was even taller than his father now.

Whether or not he would grow larger was still a mystery.

This difference in size meant that, during the hug, UA-3846 had mostly a vision of his friend's cap.

The cap no longer had that ball that represented her nucleus.

Sure, the real thing had previously been removed with a less... painful operation.

However, he could still detect that sound his red nucleus generated on the left side of his body. To his right side, the white core also was making sounds.

According to what he had been told, the two were so connected that removing the red one would be dangerous...

This, apart from his dire need to eat so much (which explained why he was biting chocolate at that moment) meant that even though his wounds healed more quickly, he had two fatal weak spots instead of just one like any other. neutrophil...

"UA-3846, please step forward."

It took him a second to process that they had finally said his name. AM-2432 pushed him using her left hand. "Go!" she giggled.

As he walked in direction to the macrophage, nobody said a thing.

It had been a long time since others tried to bother him.