Heartbreak

For about an hour, Clay had been sitting against the restaurant doors with his face cradled in his knees, admitting defeat. After searching near the restaurant for minutes and still not finding George, he gave up. The night couldn't have gone any worse.

"Hi, Clay." Emerging from the corner of the restaurant was Christine. It was one of the first times she left the apartment, leaving Clay shocked.

Clay looked up at Christine with wide eyes. "What do you want?"

"You're a good guy. You know that?" Christine sat next to Clay, leaning her head on Clay's shoulder. Too disappointed in himself to resist, he didn't pull away.

"I'm not in the mood for your games. That's what got me here in the first place." Clay sighed, watching cars pull in and out of the parking lot. He wished George would pull up, asking Clay to get in and talk things out. Of course, that wouldn't happen, especially since George didn't have a drivers license.

"I know. That's actually why I'm here. I wanted to apologize."

"Yeah, I'm not falling for that." Clay looked back down at Christine, confused on if she was actually telling the truth.

"I'm serious, Clay. I'm sorry for telling your dad fake news. I just want us to be able to- at least tolerate each other again."

"Why? Why now?"

Christine lifted her head off Clay's shoulder, beginning to stand up. "I realized you moved on and I'm happy for you. I miss you. As a friend. And- I see you struggle with your relationship sometimes and.. I just wanna help."

Clay stood up, now walking at an average pace. He could tell Christine was walking behind him; he could hear her sighs. "Ok."

"Ok?"

"Ok. Truce."

——————————————————————————
After walking for a while, they reached the apartment building. Christine broke off from Clay, allowing him to have some privacy. She had seen George run back to the apartment, crying, when she was going to see Clay. Now that she genuinely wanted things to work out for them, she encouraged Clay to talk to him.

"Ok. Good luck." Christine nodded at Clay before turning around and walking the other way. It was going to be a long night for both of them.

Grabbing onto the door handle, Clay could feel his hands shaking and his entire body getting numb. He wasn't afraid of George, he was afraid of losing him. Finally, after minutes of talking himself back into it, he pushed open the door. Sure enough, George was sitting on the couch, waiting for him. Without saying a word, Clay made his way to the couch, sitting a distance away from George.

"Hm." George looked at Clay, tapping the spot on the couch right beside him, wanting Clay to come closer.

Clay picked up his body, inching closer to George. It shouldn't have felt weird, but it did. "George..."

"I love you, Clay." George looked Clay directly in the eyes, tears streaming down his face, puddling in his lap.

"Did I do this to you?"

"Thank you for always sticking up for me." George could barely put words together, soft sobs interrupting him.

"George. I-" Before Clay could make out his sentence, George leaned into Clay, grasping onto him for dear life. He allowed himself to cry on Clay's shoulder, wiping a few tears every so often.

"George, what is this about?" Clay held George softly, rubbing his hand in circles on George's back.

"Can we just go to bed?"

"Uh.. Yeah. Yeah. Of course." Clay stood up from the couch with George still latched onto him. He carried George into his room, leaving right after he placed George on his bed. He didn't know what was happening; he thought George was mad at him for his actions at the restaurant. Instead, George seemed to be upset over something else, too upset to tell Clay. It just didn't make sense. What was he hiding?

——————————————————————————
At around midnight, Clay finally made his way back into George's room. He figured George just needed some space, so he allowed George to lay in bed for a couple hours. Still, after hours, George was laying on his bed, letting his tears fall onto his pillows.

"George... I want to help you. You gotta let me in." Clay sat on the bed, reaching for George's hand. He brought George's hand to his lips, lightly pecking it. He just wanted George to know he was there. Always.

George lifted his head from his pillows, now holding Clay's hands. Tears were still streaming down his cheeks, but were slowly fading away. "I'm not mad at you. Don't worry, you did nothing wrong. You're- perfect."

Clay let go of George's hand, moving his hands onto George's face. He tried his best to wipe away George's tears, but they just kept coming. "Baby.."

"I- I excused myself from the table to answer.. a call. It was- my mom. S-she doesn't want me staying here anymore. With you."

Clay felt his hands drop from George's face while millions of thoughts ran through his head. "W-what?"

"She's angry with me. I never- never told her I liked boys." George watched as tears started to form in Clay's eyes. His face began going pale as he looked off in the distance.

"N-no. She can't.. do that."

"So, I ran off. I didn't want you to see me like this." George's tears started pouring down again as he watched Clay glance over at him. His eyes were red and puffy. George could tell Clay was trying his best not to break down.

"When do you leave?"

"I'm already packed." George looked down at his bed, avoiding eye contact with Clay. Looking at him made his heart shatter. He had never seen Clay so hurt.

Clay panted, getting up from the bed. He tried his best to walk to the bathroom, but his tears made everything blurry. Instead, he curled himself against George's wall, finally letting himself break down. He felt as though his entire life was crumbling. Like George was the only thing keeping it whole. Now, George was leaving, and he couldn't do anything about it. It was his fault.

——————————————————————————
lol my bad ig