See You Again

The sky had turned blue; the wind finally fading away. Days had past and finally, the power lines were back up. George could make the call.

"Please pick up." George's phone went through multiple rings, each one leaving George more and more disappointed. He just wanted to talk; he missed him.

At the last ring, a familiar voice rang through George's ears, sending butterflies through his stomach. It's been too long. "George?"

"Clay."

"George! Hi!" Clay's tone was genuinely happy, leaving George able to imagine Clay's expression. In his mind, Clay's ethereal face was grinning; his bright green eyes left glowing. It was like the night in the meadows.

"I'm sorry I didn't call earlier. The power went out and I-"

"What's bothering you?"

"What?"

"I know you, George. Something's wrong."

"C'mon. It's my first time talking to you in forever and you're making it all about me."

Clay chuckled, letting a little sigh out. "Yeah. It's only been a few days though."

"Oh, and I'm the tease?" George giggled, laying down on his bed. Every now and then, he would turn over, trying to find the best angle possible so he wouldn't interrupt Clay's talking.

"Seriously, what's on your mind?"

"You, of course. Always."

"Bubs... seriously."

"Clay, it's nothing. My mom's just being cautious."

Clay sighed. "You fought over me?"

"It wasn't- it's fine, really. How's it there in Florida?"

"Lonely. I've had no one to cuddle with."

"Trust me, I know the feeling." Both George and Clay laughed in unison, although the wifi was becoming iffy. "I want to see you again. You're so pretty."

"Oh, wow. I'm flattered. You're pretty too." Their voices turned soft, adding an upset tone to them.

George sniffled, leaning his head against his head board. "When can I come back?"

"I don't know. I really don't know."

"It can't be too long, right?" A single tear was falling from George's face onto his bed. Phone calls weren't enough for him. He wanted to be with Clay, holding him as tightly as he could, kissing him all over.

"I don't know that either, Georgie." Clay wiped his nose, standing up from his couch. Ever since George left, he hadn't gone into his room. His bedsheets smelled like George's cologne; he wanted to savor it for when he needed it. Now, he needed it; he needed to have George's face in his head. It would only make him feel better.

"You know, maybe you can fly here. Your parents don't have anything against you."

"George, neither do yours. That is, if they do, we'd have a serious problem."

George chuckled, wiping his tears. "What does that mean?"

"It means them and I would have a serious talk about their handsome son."

George giggled, his face now left dry. "What about your parents? You've never mentioned your mom."

"Oh, uh. She's chill."

George stopped talking for about a minute, sniffling every few seconds.

"George?"

"Sorry. You just sounded straight there for a second."

"George!"

"What? It's the truth!" George laughed, noticing he had low battery. "I gotta plug my phone in. I'm gonna go. I'll talk to you later.

"Ok, see you soon. I love you."

"Wait, see you s-?"

The phone call ended, leaving George sitting in silence, reflecting on Clay's words. 'See you soon?' He was just trying to be hopeful, right? He was trying to make George feel better about long distance, nothing else.

——————————————————————————
When night arrived, Clay laid in his bed, fidgeting every now and then. When George was with him, he would stay up, admiring George's sleeping eyes and gorgeous features. Now, only pillows surrounded him, leaving him left lonely, somewhat desperate.

"Not much longer." Clay spoke out loud, imagining George's face in his head. "Not much longer."

Finally, after hours of staying awake, Clay's eyes began getting heavy, his mind finally clearing. Right before he could drift off though, his phone rang.

"Hello?"

"What did you mean 'see you soon?'"

"George?"

"My mom planned something, didn't she?"

"W-"

"She did. Why even separate us in the first place? I preferred your place."

"Mmm.. I don't know. Sometimes change is good."

George was shocked to hear Clay's voice, deeper than usual. He must've forgotten about the time change. Still, he played it off, continuing their conversation. "So she did invite you! You're coming? But-"

"She wants to meet me, evaluate me. Decide if I'm good for her son."

"So we're seeing each other. It's confirmed."

"Mhm."

"That doesn't make sense, though. Couldn't she just have come to Florida?"

"She claims she doesn't like us without at least two adult's supervision and apparently,  your dad needs to work over there."

"Oh, come on. We are adults."

"You just stole my line." Clay's deep voice had a sarcastic tone to it, toying around with George.

"Alright, I love you. I'll see you soon."

Before Clay could respond, the phone hung up. He stared at his phone for a couple minutes, probably scrolling through twitter, then placed it down, staring at his ceiling. He was going to see George.

——————————————————————————