Chapter 2 - The Elucide Stone

I am back home, waiting at the bus stop. Today is Monday, and it is raining, as always. The bus soon came, and the other high school students and I filed onto it.

The bus was more crowded today, but I didn't really care. Every day it was the same boring routine: go to school, sit around bored, come home, and do homework while entertaining my little brother until mom gets home. I normally would just put on old cartoons from Netflix because he liked the way they looked. Again, I didn't care. At least I could talk to my friends while I wait to get it all over with.

"Hey Eva, what's up?"

That was my best friend Jordan, sitting in the row just ahead of me. He always sat there so that he could twist his head back to look at me while we would talk. He would talk to me about a lot of different things, I would mostly listen. I'm not too much of a talker myself, unless I have a snarky comment to add. I also wouldn't call myself goth or emo, but I bet some people would believe it.

"Not much Jo, what about you?" I said back at him. He hated it when people called him Jo, so that's why I did it. It wasn't really a mean thing... he just would get really worked up about it and we'd have a good time with it.

"Hey! You know I-" he said as he had spun around to look at me. He had froze with a pale white face. "Eva... what happened to you?"

"What do you mean?" I retorted back.

"Just, look at yourself..."

I looked down at my hands, but they were now brown and furry. "What." I said under my breath. I turned them over. Where there had been fingers and gray nails there were now canine paws! I felt up at my face. Where there used to be a small nose and mouth, there was now a muzzle and jaw! My long brown hair was gone, and replaced with two long terrifying ears!

"This can't be happening!" I tried to say, but it just came out as barks and growls. By now, I had gotten the attention of most of the bus. People were staring, some pointing! I needed to get out of here! I tried to stand up, but then fell as I realized I couldn't walk straight! I looked down to find that I was covered in brown fur, and my legs were backwards! I got in the aisle of the bus with all the students pointing their phones at me. I could hear the headlines: "monster girl scares classmates!" "Scary dog on bus!" or "Is one of your friends a werewolf?" It was then that I noticed the scary beast in the large mirror in the front of the bus.

And there, staring back at me, was a hideous, brown monster. Long, pointed ears. Large, sharp teeth. Big, black scary claws. My hazel eyes widened as I realized that it was me.

——————————-

"AAAAGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!" I yelled out as I jolted up out of my makeshift bed.

"BWAAGH!!!" A voice beside me screamed, obviously startled by my loud and sudden awakening. I looked over at Sam, capturing a perfect display of fear on his face before realizing what had happened. He was reading a book while eating an apple, and my shriek had almost choked him!

"Saawveee..." I managed to force out.

"It's okay, it's okay." Sam said, picking up his apple and putting his book away. "I got so involved in my story that I was easily startled." He put his hand behind his head. "But hey, at least we got a word out of you!"

(Huh, I guess we did) I thought. Maybe I am getting better?

"Here," Sam continued. "Try saying a sentence. Say 'Hello, my name is Eva.'"

"Hehw-" I started. "Hehwuw, migh nem ihf evwa." I tried.

"Huh..." Sam thought aloud. "You sound more like an impressed feral does than any normal Pokémon. But then again, you immediately seem to understand me perfectly!"