Chaper 5 - Contention

"...Team Everfire!" Sam said.

"Everfire?" I said. "That sounds so dumb."

"N-no it doesn't! I think it works!"

"How about... Team Wisecracks?"

Sam's face scrunched up. "No! No! Why that one?!"

"Because at this point, we are wisecracks."

"No, no..." Sam said, thinking.

"How about... we think on it some more?"

We walked and walked, talking about possible names.

——————————-

As we kept walking, it started getting dark. "So are we going to camp out somewhere?" I asked Sam.

"Yeah, I was thinking in that clearing up ahead." Sam said, pointing over at a side clearing up the road a bit, over a small hill. "If we get up early tomorrow, we might be able to hitch a ride in Seaport Village! That'll save us walking to Capkin town."

"Why didn't you bring up that faster way earlier?" I asked him.

Sam's face turned red. "Look, I-I'm not really good at this whole planning thing... this is really my first time doing this!"

"Well, at least we're getting to where we're going." I said, trying not to make Sam more uncomfortable than he already was. To be fair, he couldn't even handle my joke from earlier, so why try to make things worse? "So what kind of transportation do they have there?"

"Well it's a port-town, so I assume they've got some water-types and flying-types? Maybe if they've got one big enough..." he trailed off.

I tried not to show my frustration with Sam. He was, at this moment, the only one who understood who I was or could easily communicate with me. Heck, if he wasn't wearing that Elucide pendant right now, he probably wouldnt even understand what I was saying! And if we never got it, I'd still be at his home, learning how to be his pet! I'd be stuck living a life I didn't want, and would have no idea how to go home. But once I get hold of that Relick stone, game over. I am leaving and going home. Enough of this silly fantasy garbage. My brother can watch something else on tv!

To be fair, I was surprised that I could remember what I could. I mean, I still can't remember much, but I know I had a younger brother and that he liked pokemon. I know I must've had parents. And I know that I was human. I also remember I had a best friend I talked to on the way to school... What was his name again? Man, I hope I don't forget anything else! Maybe I am just in a coma, or this is just such a traumatic experience that I've forgotten basic things about myself? But then again, I don't know anything about Pokémon, and if this is real, I'll probably find out more once I get home. Then at least I'll know if it was a coma-induced dream or not.

We trudged over the hill, and made it to the clearing. We set our bags down, and laid out our blankets.

"So..." Sam said as we laid down on our makeshift beds. "Do you remember your life from before here, then?"

"Not really." I said, not really wanting to talk to him about these kind of things.

"Not at all? What about cartoons and the movies you mentioned? You told me like you knew what those were!"

I sighed, frustrated. I really didn't want to get into all this right now with him. I just wanted peace and quiet. "I really don't know what the point is talking about this right now."

Sam expounded. "Well, I mean maybe I could help you jog your memory some more! I mean, you must be curious about who you are? Right?"

I thought for a moment before responding. "I think I just need to talk to someone who understands me better. That's all."