Chapter 16 - Sam

Eva is not doing well. Neither is Rou.

Oh gosh oh gosh oh gosh!

Breathe. You got this Sam.

We have been hiking for a few days straight, trying to get to the peak of the tallest mountain in the region, Mount Faron. Rou isn't doing good in this icy climate because of his body-type's disadvantage, and Eva's probably doing worse than she's letting on because she doesn't want me to worry about her!

Oh gosh.......

We had gotten through a few mystery dungeons though, and I'm proud of that at least! I never used to go in dungeons before I met Eva, and now I don't feel so much like a wimp anymore! I just wish I could celebrate that under different circumstances. Right now, we have to focus on getting to the summit.

I don't want Rou to know, but I lost track of where we were yesterday. The wind and snow has covered the old markers for the path, and without those, my map is useless! If only there was a friendly Nosepass nearby whe could tell us which way was north or something. But then we would likely get turned around again later.

Ughh... why can't I be more smart with these things?!! I bet Eva has all sorts of skills back where she's from, and then Rou is strong and smart with fighting, why aren't I better with navigating?!! It's the only thing I'm supposed to do here!! Ugh! I get so frustrated at myself.

Sigh. I know I shouldn't be so mean to myself. Maybe I should give myself more credit? I mean, we made it this far, and it can't be that hard to find the summit in all this snow, we just head up.

At least Eva's here with me. I swear, with her here by my side, I can do almost anything! I just feel so... confident when I'm with her. Is that because she's human? Or is it just her personality? Either way, I don't care. I just like having her around!

I should probably check and see how Eva and Rou are doing.

I look back to see Eva still dragging the sled we made for Rou. Some snow is in her fur, and I can easily see her breath in the cold air. Rou is still there, bundled up tight in his cloak. Leevan really did know what she was doing when she made these clothes!

"You okay?" Eva asked me.

"I'm fine! Let's keep going!" I said, facing back forward and continuing our march. I gotta keep the moral up. Gotta stay positive!

We hiked up through the snow some more. The wind was definitely getting stronger, and as we walked I could feel the snow chilling my claws and feet. Before I had tried to avoid it, but now all I could do was just march through the snow and ignore the cold sensation. I was honestly a lot more surprised at how well I was doing in this weather. I had expected that the cold and the snow would make me freeze quickly, but so far I was fine. Snow and ice was just cold water, right? Shouldn't it be having a greater effect on me-

I was in the middle of these thoughts when I heard a yelp behind me. I spun around to see Rou and the sled, but no Eva! "Eva!" I called. "Eva where are you?!!"

"Down here.."

I looked down into the snow to find a sort of crevice in the ice. Eva had fallen inside and was bracing herself from falling any deeper.

"Eva!" I exclaimed in a panic.

"I- I think I'm okay Sam, just find something to pull me back up with."

I looked around, other than the occasional frozen tree, there wasn't much in this chilly landscape. I untied the rope from the makeshift sled and lowered it down to her. She caught it in her mouth, and wrapped it around one of her paws. She held tightly as I slowly pulled her up.